• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 01:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 540
Total: 540

Soon

Started by LizStreithorst, December 10, 2012, 11:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Sometime today my best pair (two show winners) will be in a breeding tank.  I saw symptoms of hex which really freaked me out so I treated all my Discus.  From what I understand, this parasite is often in the fish but kept in check by the immune system.  It's hard to know what make them symptomatic, but I've changed a couple of things.  Since it's good to clean the fish up before breeding anyway, I also treated for tape worms (they had none) and flukes with PraziPro.  I also wormed for round worms with Wormer Plus.  It's my favorite wormer.  It gets flukes as well.  It's made in New Jersey, but you have to import it from England.  Go figure ::)  I never saw any worms expelled.  Either they didn't have any or the worms were reabsorbed.  At any rate I have squeeky clean Discus.

All the time in the community tank during treatment this pair never left one anothers side, and the tank is heavy on high quality mature males.  After a few days of nothing but good clean water (80% WC daily thoughout treatment and several days afterward) the pair spawned.  They guarded the eggs well and I was starting to see eye spots in the eggs.  But last night someone snuck in and ate them.

Their breeding tank is ready and waiting.  It and it's sponge have been sterilized.  I don't mind an uncycled tank, because my water is cheap.  I just do massive WCs until the filter catches up.  I've always done it that way and it has always worked just fine.  Did you know that in Asia most big breeders don't even use filtation?  They toss in an airstone and do twice daily huge, fish flopping on the botton WCs.  The fish love it!

As soon as the temperatures equalize I will be moving my pair to their own tank.  One of Barb's cones turnes the tank into a love next.  Stay tuned.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Sounds like a plan....good luck. Keep us posted on the pairing, pics???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I will snap a pick after I move them.  1 more degree F. will get the tanks close enough to suit me.  They are both Snake Skins.  The female is a perfectly patterened fine line.  The male appeares to have been crossed with a Blue Diamond and something spotted.  He's a mutt so to speak, but he won the fine line class at NADA despite not being a true fine line.  He did it on overall quality.

To raise a spawn from these two is my heart'd desire.  Don't guess you could tell, could you ;)

Barb

Fingers and toes crossed for you and fish Liz! 
Barb

LizStreithorst

Enjoy

Jo

Wow Liz totally gorgeous discus!!!!!!! I hope you get your hearts desire!
Jo

Barb

And their colors are even better in person!  Glad to see they like my crooked boiled clay cone better than I did!  Good luck with this one Liz,
Barb

Mugwump

Those are some real 'beaut's' ,Liz......sweeeeeeeeet!!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Good luck, your discus are  gorgeous.
Scott

Mir

Aw, they're awesome. Hope all goes perfectly and you get lots of adorable show-winning babies! :)
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

ilroost

good luck liz, hope it turns out good for you