• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 12:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 578
Total: 579

Discus naming

Started by Mugwump, November 30, 2012, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I'm curious, what is the Discus naming convention??..It seems to be more about phenotype than genotype...is that correct?....Are they named with the aid of what the parents are??..or what the fry turn out to be..??....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The naming of Discus Strains is a joke.  Yes, they are named mostly by pheontype, but some names make no sence at all.  Who would know that the fish named 3R2 was to my eye the exact same fish as a Red Gold Melon?  The breeder gets to name the fish, so we have many nearly identical fish that likely came from the same stock with different names.  It makes it very hard for a beginner in Discus.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I hear ya.....I look at the Discus brought to swaps and can see several like fish with different names.....I expect to see a 'Sham-Wow' pretty soon....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

When I sell Discus before they have colored up which I haven't done for years, I give as much information as I have on the parent's.   Once they've developed a pattern I describe them according to their pattern and tell about the parents.  I'm not into the name game.  I just know the fish.

PaulineMi

I'm late to this thread but sure glad I ran across it.  There have been times I've practically had my nose up against the monitor trying to see the difference in one discus from the other when they look so much alike. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

It's one of those hard things about Discus that you figure out over time once you get in to them.   There is some logic to it but not a whole lot.  Some resellers just make up names to make the fish sound more new and desirable.  It's a sad state of afrairs for a Discus newbie.