• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 558
Total: 558

Simple discus question...

Started by Mugwump, October 19, 2012, 06:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I hope it is... 8)....Why are cones used for spawning. Have slates been an issue??..or are cones more natural to them..??....never thought to ask before..... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

In general they prefer a curved surface. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Is it similar to what they would be known to use in the wild??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I believe I have the answer.  Cones are a big part of my life these days, I make them.  In the wild discus will spawn lots of places.  But now that they are kept in fish tanks by hobbyists, many hybrids, lots of colors, they have become rather valuable fish.  For many reasons.  So, the folks who want their fish to produce lots of fry to raise and then sell for a lot of $$, want to have as many eggs turn into fish as possible.  The cone helps this a lot.
When the eggs are put on the cone by the female and fertilized by the male, the eggs later become wrigglers then start to swim away. A lot of the eggs can fall off the cone during all this and the lip at the bottom of the cone catches the fallers so the parents can pick them up in their mouths, clean them off, and spit them back where they belong.  The shape and make of the cone just ensure that more fry can be successfully raised.  The shape of the cone helps the male get the eggs all fertilized.  Other things are used also, PVC pipe, slate, glass bottles or jars, clay pots but the cone still seems to be the best.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on October 19, 2012, 07:04:38 PM

In the wild they lay on drift wood, I would imagine.  On a curved surface of a piece of drift wood.  Discus female's are individuals.  They lay where they choose.  I had a pair that liked a leaf.  I even had a pair that would do it on the glass bottom.  Most always they prefer a cone.

Mugwump

Thanks Barb, I'd googled all over and it would never show a link to any response. Your's makes sense, and the lip at the bottom was a good example of the why cones are best....cool
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 19, 2012, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 19, 2012, 07:04:38 PM

In the wild they lay on drift wood, I would imagine.  On a curved surface of a piece of drift wood.  Discus female's are individuals.  They lay where they choose.  I had a pair that liked a leaf.  I even had a pair that would do it on the glass bottom.  Most always they prefer a cone.

LOL.....like angel females...LOL...they'll show the male where to clean...then change their minds and go someplace else to clean....LOL..I've watched a poor male clean just about everything in sight...only to have her lay on the uncleaned filter tube...poor guy
Jon

LizStreithorst

That's funny.  What could be worse than spreading one's milt on an unclean tube 8)

P4Angels2

We have a Cobalt blue pair that first laid their eggs on the drift wood...all were eaten....they used a piece of PVC and we thought they had eaten their eggs but a couple of weeks later we saw the fry swimming around..Now they have a cone that they used and ended up eating their fry again...So now they have 2 choices and I am really really really hoping that we get babies again!!!

LizStreithorst

The dang fish lay where they want.  I've had them lay on the glass bottom and raise a successful batch.  The reason you thought that the second batch was eaten is because the pair moved them once they started to wiggle.  Only pairs with good parenting instinct move the wigglers.  It's a good sign.

Make sure your water quality is up to snuff.  If you want to breed, the parents should be in a BB tank that gets the sides wiped down weekly and gets 30% WC daily.