• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 03:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 523
Total: 523

Identify this fish?

Started by Mir, March 08, 2013, 06:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mir

HEY GUYS!!!!! <3
Sorry for my horrendously long absence again: my crappy old laptop finally ceased to run... And I've been pretty busy with my last year in school and such. But now I have a new laptop! And a new camera! :D

But anyway.... what species do you think this little guy is?
My little brother brought it (and four mystery snails) home from school in a "biosphere" made out of a pop bottle with some water and dirt because his retarded teacher thought torturing live animals was a good way to learn, even after I attempted advising her against it.  >:(
She said they were guppies, but this doesn't look at all like a reticulata to me.

Is it a livebearer? Minnow? I just can't guess lol.
I think we are going to keep it, but it looks like it's a schooling fish and I want to know what friends to get it, or who to give it to that has them...

Thanks for your help!
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Mugwump

Really no clue....the sad conditions it was raised in likely caused any color to go away, or not develope....perhaps a nice tank with good clean water and some good food will change it...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

LOL....MIR!!!!!!!!!!...sheesh, I did a double take, forehead slap.....How are ya ????...So good to see you back posting.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

hi mir, we missed you. glad your back.
not sure what fish you got there, maybe someone on here will know

Mir

Lol! Hi there! I am doing great! :) I just recently rehomed most of my tetras and most of the girl guppies, so they can have a bigger, better tank and I can focus on Charlie and the rest of my fish. I still haven't upgraded Charlie to a tank with cool live plants, but it will be happening soon! :) And I will post some more pics and stuff when I get his pretty new tank set up.

Yeah, I thought it was weird how it is mostly clear, and has the split tail instead of round like a guppy. It's so long and skinny, but with a big head, but that is probably just from living in a sealed bottle not eating and swimming in its own waste for a few days... The teacher said she bought them from a pet store (facepalm) as feeders but idk what kind... Hopefully it will show a bit of color, or at least be active and not all sad once I put it in and give it some good clean water and food. :)

And wow! I don't think it's even possible for me to catch up to your post count now! Good to see the forum's been going fine without me and still growing! :D
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Mir

Thanks Bob :)

lol.... I just noticed the new forum ranks. I'm nearly just a fry still! xD
<3 Miranda

LizStreithorst

I can't help with the ID of the fish but it's good to have you back.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mir

Thanks Liz! :)

....Your snails are doing good. Maybe once these new gold ones go in with them they might breed! :)
<3 Miranda

LizStreithorst

Mine aren't breeding either.  I can't figure it out.  What I've thought is that it might because my water has 0 gH, but except for not breeding they are otherwise healthy. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 08, 2013, 07:11:47 PM
Mine aren't breeding either.  I can't figure it out.  What I've thought is that it might because my water has 0 gH, but except for not breeding they are otherwise healthy.

The two that I do have....love cleaning up the 'Frenzy'...... ;D...try that
Jon

ilroost

mir, it might be one of those rosey's they sell as feeder fish, but it just doesn't have the color

Mir

Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing... :)

And hmmm. My snails seem to get pretty active after a water change. Maybe they like it since the incoming water is slightly colder? But yeah, my water isn't very hard either... They still seem fine though.
<3 Miranda

b125killer

He Mir welcome back. I'm not to sure what fish you have there either. My son got 2 goldfish from school once. The Teacher didn't ask the parents if they wanted or had the ability to take care of the fish. just brought two home one day. He was lucky that I had the knowledge and space for his new friends. We lost one but the other is 14" long now. not bad for neglected school fish. I was so mad that they just sent live fish home with the kids. The teacher has no ideal if the kids have anything for the fish. and I'm sure most parents didn't run out to get supplies for the fish.
Scott

Mir

I know! it's so stupid! :( And she tried to do this to teach them how to set up an ecosystem, in a sealed plastic bottle instead of by properly cycling an aquarium! My brother said most everyone in the class has tanks but that doesn't mean they will know how to care for the fish... :(
<3 Miranda