• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 10:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Another Species of Dwarf Loach

Started by PaulineMi, December 16, 2012, 05:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

This are my Schistura balteatas, also known as the sumo loach.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

now that's an interesting little critter......zounds, look at those bars...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

They are cool. How big do they get?
Scott

sschind

I love these little guys.  I just picked a 6 more to go with the 3 I had.   I ordered 6 about a year ago and then they disappeared from my list for almost a year.  They finally showed up again so I ordered another 6 but they sent me something else.  This time though I go the right ones.  I'm not sure if these will end up being S. balteata in the long run or not.  According to these two pics it may be a different species or it may simply be a geographical variant. 

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-balteata  shows the S. balteata the ones we have look more like this

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-cf-balteata

Great fish either way.  They seem to be very hardy and less aggressive than some of the other "sand loaches and nemachelius species I have had.

loaches online says max size probably 4 inches but I would say if that.  I had a couple for almost a year and they never got more than about 2.5" and didn't seem to grow much at all for me.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

PaulineMi

Mine have remained barely three inches in length. They're about the same size as my chain loaches but have a chunkier body. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Jo

Jo

P4Angels

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

PaulineMi

Thanks.  Dwarf loaches are so cute.  :)

shatanka

Very neat looking! I've never seen one of these before. Where did you get it? And of course..great pic Pauline ( that goes without saying! lol).

pashley

love them, might have to go looking for them once i get things set back up

BillT

Unusual coloration. Are both sexes colored that way?

PaulineMi

Thanks all.

I got these guys from my LFS a few years ago. From what I could find, the male and female are colored alike. The difference between the sexes isn't truly known yet.  It's thought there are some minor body shape differences with the female being plumper. I don't know if they've even been bred in captivity.

sschind

A guy at the swap yesterday told me they could get to 6 inches but then he said he had never kept them so I don't know.  Mine have always stayed small.  I sold 6 of them at the swap yesterday.  They are probably my second or third favorite loach behind the sidthimunki and maybe the zipper loach (though I can't figure out what they are for sure), and maybe that oddball dwarf loach that Captain Bob found a year or so back that we never could track down again.  Loaches on line says they can be a bit nippy with others of their own kind an similar loaches I have not found that to be the case but I try to have a lot of hiding places like they recommend.  They don't seem to school like a lot of loaches do but they are all over the place so its really hard to tell.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Rjb3

That would be the Dwarf Striped Loach.