• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:05:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 629
Total: 629

Swords and Platy's...

Started by Mugwump, December 02, 2012, 06:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I thought for sure that someone here would raise these neat little fish....I think that most aquarists started out with some...???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

I've never had any swordtails but I used to have some red and orange platies. They were awesome. I'm planning on getting some blue ones in the future. :)
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BallAquatics

I came very close to bidding on some Montezuma Swordtail (Xiphophorus montezumae), that Rusty Wessel was auctioning after giving a talk at one of our local club functions a couple of years ago.

Dennis

BillT

When I was a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I was raising a lot of swordtails. The males in my opinion are one of the most active of livebearers n their courting of females and interacting in their dominance hierarchy.
I now have some platies because I found some interesting mini-platies (which I have since made normal size). Platies males are much less active by comparison, but are nice little fish anyway with some great colors and breed well.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 02, 2012, 02:18:35 PM
When I was a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I was raising a lot of swordtails. The males in my opinion are one of the most active of livebearers n their courting of females and interacting in their dominance hierarchy.
I now have some platies because I found some interesting mini-platies (which I have since made normal size). Platies males are much less active by comparison, but are nice little fish anyway with some great colors and breed well.

Yes, the colors have always been what drew me to them initially...remember the 'true' red brick swords??...gorgeous creatures. I remember the 'scarf tail' guppies too...you'll have a hard time finding a real scarf tail now....only the best guppy breeders still have them for shows....the 'delta's' can still be found tho....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 02, 2012, 11:58:13 AM
I came very close to bidding on some Montezuma Swordtail (Xiphophorus montezumae), that Rusty Wessel was auctioning after giving a talk at one of our local club functions a couple of years ago.

Dennis

Dennis do have them?  I so want some of these.. :D
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

BallAquatics

No, Rusty was saying that they grow very large and need a 75 or bigger tank and at the time I wasn't set-up for them so I didn't bid.  They were very nice fish, two pair or two trios I think.... they went for less than $30

Dennis

Jo

They are really cool fish. Just don't have room for them now. I have kept them in the past.
Jo

PaulineMi

I had the infertile lyretail male sword but he was so pretty.  No one told him about his limitations and he was constantly courting the female.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mir

<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

BallAquatics

Those are drop dead gorgeous Pauline.

Dennis

Jo

Those really are gorgeous! :O
Jo

BillT

I had the infertile lyretail male sword but he was so pretty.  No one told him about his limitations and he was constantly courting the female.

I had some of these when I was a kid. They are great looking. I was very frustrated with their lack of breeding back then.

It is now my understanding that the reason they don't breed is that their overgrown anal fins makes their gonopodium ineffective for sperm transfer. I read an article a few years ago about how someone is collecting sperm from swordtail males and artificially inseminating the females.

PaulineMi

Thank you.

And yes the males have an overgrown anal fin which interferes with breeding. They're not actually infertile, just unable to reproduce.

These guys were in a tank with dwarf neon rainbowfish and diamond tetras. Being a darker low light  tank with plants and driftwood the fish really brightened things up.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)