• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 02:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Celestial Danios

Started by Mugwump, October 15, 2012, 09:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

Love the videos and the music!!!!!!!!  Cool fish! I may have to talk to you about those when I get more room or should I say tanks? ;D
Jo

P4Angels

Dennis

Do you ship?  I would love to add them to my breeding program?

"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on October 20, 2012, 09:40:51 PM
Dennis

Do you ship?  I would love to add them to my breeding program?

I think he does....and you'll like them...absolutely gorgeous little fish
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: P4Angels on October 20, 2012, 09:40:51 PM
Dennis

Do you ship?

I do, but unfortunately some family matters and the super hot summer have left me with no CPD's to ship.  With a bit of luck I'll have a new crop ready to ship next March.

Dennis

BillT

Hi Dennis,

Maybe you know about this:

I have also noticed that some Celstials I got really hugged the bottom and swam around in the clutter down there. These fish were breeding so I figure they were just freaked out and scared.

On the other hand, I has seen other groups (usually in stores) swim around frequently at the mid-water level.

What is the normal situation for these fish? I would expect that fish from a shallow environment would tend to hid in the clutter as a predator avoidance strategy. I read somewhere that this is their natural environment.
The mid-water fish might be from a different environment or a mutant strain.

Or perhaps there is a non-genetic explanation.

Jdmcfast

Good to see you found us Bill I'm glad that link worked

Posted using tapatalk 2

Josh

Mugwump

Hi Bill....nice to see you around.... :o
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Hi Bill good to see you found our new home. I like the video Dennis.   
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on October 23, 2012, 01:25:38 AM
I have also noticed that some Celstials I got really hugged the bottom and swam around in the clutter down there. These fish were breeding so I figure they were just freaked out and scared.

On the other hand, I has seen other groups (usually in stores) swim around frequently at the mid-water level.

What is the normal situation for these fish? I would expect that fish from a shallow environment would tend to hid in the clutter as a predator avoidance strategy. I read somewhere that this is their natural environment.
The mid-water fish might be from a different environment or a mutant strain.

Hi Bill, great to see you here, my Danio compadre.

In the spring of 2007 a small group, including Mr. U Tin Win the director of the Hein Aquarium in Myanmar, visited the discovery site of Danio margaritatus.  I always refer to information I obtained from Tin Win when asked about CPD native habitat as the area is still off-limits to outside visitors.  I was told the water where these fish are found is crystal clear with a pH of 7.3 and the conductivity of 250 micro siemen. The pond bottom is covered with sand. The area is mostly grassland and rice paddies, so the ponds are open to the sun and filled with a rich variety of aquatic plants.

In these very shallow ponds I believe, as you stated, "I would expect that fish from a shallow environment would tend to hid in the clutter as a predator avoidance strategy."  It's been my experience that this is the 'normal' behavior for these tiny fish.  I have seen a few of these fish behave in a bolder manner when kept with dither fish, or supplied with lots of top cover, but this is the exception.  In the wild, these bold fish likely end up as a meal for a hungry bird and as such don't contribute much to the over-all population.

On a side note.  Mr. U Tin Win has discovered new fish for the hobby in his home land of Myanmar.  Formerly know as Danio TW02, in November of 2009 this fish was named in his honor.....

Danio tinwini is another small beautiful fish suitable for keeping in a nano or desktop aquarium.  These fish behave in a more typical Danio fashion and do not exhibit the shyness of CPD's.

Dennis

Mugwump

A post like this is why I like you folks so much....when the someone's knowledge percolates to the surface, we all learn..and there is so much to learn...
Jon

BillT

Well, Hello back to everyone.
It nice to find this place again.

Thanks for the great info Dennis. You are a font of knowledge.