• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 627
Total: 627

Loaches eating snails

Started by b125killer, July 13, 2013, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Them loaches sure do like there snails. It's a good thing I always have extra snails to give them. 
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

They had all them snails gone in a hour.
Scott

JR

Love them Loaches they have cleaned a few of my tanks
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

ilroost

Wish i still had my loaches. Alway's loved them

b125killer

I love my loaches too. but I don't think I'll be getting anymore clown loaches. When I got them they were so small. I didn't know that much about them. they just looked cool in the store. I didn't know they get to be a foot and a half long. Also didn't know about there love for snails. I lost three big mystery snails to them. When I got them home I found out that they are prone to Ick. That's the only time I have had to deal with Ick. I like the yoyo loaches they have all the personality as the clowns with out there huge size.
For anyone considering these lovely fish I would research them.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae/?searchterm=yoyo
Scott

Jdmcfast

I have had a lot better luck with keeping clown loaches with angels though rather than yoyo loaches, yoyo's seen to nip fins and harass fish more than clown loaches. And clown loaches take forever to get full sized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

PaulineMi

That's a cool video. 

I like dwarf loaches ..... Schistura species and chain loaches.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

The clown loach will grow to 5 inches in the first years then the growth slows down a lot. It's recommended that you keep 5+ of eather. I did start to see the yoyo loaches pick on the angels when I had just the 2 in a tank. After I moved them with the clowns they stopped. They need to create a hierarchy. And lots of hiding spots. The smallest yoyo gets harassed by all the loaches. But they do leave the angels alone.
Thanks Pauline, I think its neat the way the pick up the snails, Then play keep away. There is enough snails for everyone but they all seem to want the one that's being eaten.
Scott