• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 08:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 732
Total: 732

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Started by Mugwump, December 27, 2015, 10:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Cake

1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 to 2 teaspoons espresso powder, optional
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, Dutch-process cocoa preferred

Glaze

1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup heavy cream

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375?F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan; cut a piece of parchment or waxed paper to fit, grease it, and lay it in the bottom of the pan.
    To make the cake: Put the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the butter is melted and the chips are soft. Stir until the chips melt, reheating briefly if necessary. You can also do this over a burner set at very low heat. Transfer the melted chocolate/butter to a mixing bowl.
    Stir in the sugar, salt, espresso powder, and vanilla. Espresso enhances chocolate's flavor much as vanilla does; using 1 teaspoon will simply enhance the flavor, while 2 teaspoons will lend a hint of mocha to the cake.
    Add the eggs, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, and mix just to combine.
    Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
    Bake the cake for 25 minutes; the top will have formed a thin crust, and it should register at least 200?F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into its center.
    Remove it from the oven, and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
    Loosen the edges of the pan with a table knife or nylon spreader, and turn it out onto a serving plate. The top will now be on the bottom; that's fine. Also, the edges will crumble a bit, which is also fine. Allow the cake to cool completely before glazing.
    To make the glaze: Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is very hot, but not simmering. Remove from the microwave, and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is completely smooth.
    Spoon the glaze over the cake, spreading it to drip over the sides a bit. Allow the glaze to set for several hours before serving the cake.
    Yield: 8" cake, 8 to 12 servings.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It looks excellent...very rich.  The problem these days is finding good quality chocolate.  I heard on the radio a while back that there was a disease going around that was wiping out the plants.  A resistant variety has been developed but the quality of the chocolate is not good.  The same thing happened years ago with Bananas.  Back when I was a kid bananas were much more flavorful than they are now.

On the plus side, I heard that a strain of tomato has been created that can be picked green, shipped over many miles and arrive at the supermarket full of flavor.  It would be a lovely thing, but I will believe it when I taste it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 27, 2015, 11:29:54 AM
It looks excellent...very rich.  The problem these days is finding good quality chocolate.  I heard on the radio a while back that there was a disease going around that was wiping out the plants.  A resistant variety has been developed but the quality of the chocolate is not good.  The same thing happened years ago with Bananas.  Back when I was a kid bananas were much more flavorful than they are now.

On the plus side, I heard that a strain of tomato has been created that can be picked green, shipped over many miles and arrive at the supermarket full of flavor.  It would be a lovely thing, but I will believe it when I taste it.

...cool...but nothing wrong with fried green tomatoes  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson