• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 02:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 395
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

Aquaponics....

Started by Mugwump, April 03, 2015, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Has anyone here dabbled in this at all. Marshall and Jennifer, #3 son and wife, have set up a nice system that seems to be working well for them. We've donated some fish to the project, and are excited to see what their results will be as the plants grow.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I got a very nice book by Sylvia Bernstein about this.  Haven't put any of it to use though.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

What species are being tried?

I read somewhere once that there can be a problem between the water conditions the fish like vs. those for the plants.
Since there are so many different species of each, each with a different toleration for these factors, it would seem the species choices made would affect the success of the project.

I know Tilapia are often tried for aquaponics. they can tolerate high salt and poor water quality better than a lot of fish.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 04, 2015, 11:44:55 AM
What species are being tried?

I read somewhere once that there can be a problem between the water conditions the fish like vs. those for the plants.
Since there are so many different species of each, each with a different toleration for these factors, it would seem the species choices made would affect the success of the project.

I know Tilapia are often tried for aquaponics. they can tolerate high salt and poor water quality better than a lot of fish.

Jap blue guppies, cory's, and bristle nosed plecos......everything's growing fine....it's a smaller system......6 ft high and about 4 foot square.....and (4) tiers...wish that I had a pic...
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Tilapia pretty much eat poop.

One thing about aquaponics where there will be humans eating the fish and/or the produce. You want to use an organic feed.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 04, 2015, 09:32:46 PM
Tilapia pretty much eat poop.

One thing about aquaponics where there will be humans eating the fish and/or the produce. You want to use an organic feed.

They're growing plants, not breeding fish to eat......and yes, organic feed....
Jon

BillT

Quotenot breeding fish to eat

The guppies may go down easy, but pleco's could be kind of spiky.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 05, 2015, 02:32:39 PM
Quotenot breeding fish to eat

The guppies may go down easy, but pleco's could be kind of spiky.

LOL....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

The guppy has no real flavor though.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BillT

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 05, 2015, 08:28:37 PM
The guppy has no real flavor though.

Quote from: BillT on April 05, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
Kinda like tofu.

Oh, I see...kinda like the one that I didn't see on the floor, and stepped on it.....?...a mushy paste??
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Never had tofu so I can't say.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 06, 2015, 07:55:20 AM
Never had tofu so I can't say.

me neither, and really don't plan too..... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Jon