• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 12:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 588
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 587
Total: 587

Thursday's coffee=====>

Started by Mugwump, August 06, 2015, 06:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...I'm enjoying a great cup of coffee this morn'....looks like a nice day, possible rain on/off tho...? errands and putz'n today...I need to do some fry water changes too.....later I need to fill some of tanks out back with water and mark the leaks so I can re-caulk them.....one is a minor leak in the corner of the top trim...another, a 50 tall, will need to be caulked again completely...the bottom seal is shot.....blah

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

My cup very good too. Screwed up this morning and hit the install Windows 10 button on  my laptop. :o Did a customized install and turned off everything that MS wants to do and know about my machine. So far I have it working like it was with Windows 7 but it is a tad bit slow. It also updated a One Drive file after the install (the cloud, ugh  >:(). I will now do a reboot and see what the impact of turning everything off does. Good thing I have two working desktops that I will not be upgrading anytime soon. ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Cool and wet here today.  I can feel that fall is on the way!!!

Water changes on tap for today.  Haven't had much time for the fish in the last several days.....  Did a quick once over check before lights out last night and the 20 long with the 144's  I got from Jon had fry on the glass everywhere!   :D :D :D

Looks like I have 3 males and 3 females, but who is responsible for the fry is anyone's guess.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 06, 2015, 08:14:57 AM
Cool and wet here today.  I can feel that fall is on the way!!!

Water changes on tap for today.  Haven't had much time for the fish in the last several days.....  Did a quick once over check before lights out last night and the 20 long with the 144's  I got from Jon had fry on the glass everywhere!   :D :D :D

Looks like I have 3 males and 3 females, but who is responsible for the fry is anyone's guess.  LOL

Dennis

"The Shadow Knows"......HAHAHHAHHHAHHAHAHHAAAHHHAAA

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 06, 2015, 07:33:18 AM
My cup very good too. Screwed up this morning and hit the install Windows 10 button on  my laptop. :o Did a customized install and turned off everything that MS wants to do and know about my machine. So far I have it working like it was with Windows 7 but it is a tad bit slow. It also updated a One Drive file after the install (the cloud, ugh  >:(). I will now do a reboot and see what the impact of turning everything off does. Good thing I have two working desktops that I will not be upgrading anytime soon. ???

OK things are working well so far with Windows 10. It recognized the printer right away and opened all sorts of files with ease including the Open Office applications. Google did install an updated version of Chrome which I promptly made my default. I would say all is well right now. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 06, 2015, 09:32:57 AM

OK things are working well so far with Windows 10. It recognized the printer right away and opened all sorts of files with ease including the Open Office applications. Google did install an updated version of Chrome which I promptly made my default. I would say all is well right now. ;D

Keep us posted. I'm counting on what you guys on here come up with as to when I'll download it.  Our MLS is telling us that the system may not work on W-10. So I' not jumping quickly. I guess I could run it on foxfire or something else, but I don't want to have to go through any hoops. Not patient enough right now...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

I've only run across a couple of issues. 

• It won't run VirtualBox.  This is pretty much a deal breaker for me.  No VirtualBox no LAMP stack, no local webdev.....
  • The next issue is with my wireless.  Boots up and works great until the systems goes to sleep or times out.  Then it won't connect again.  Windows has updated 3 or 4 times already so it's probably something they are working on.

All in all, it's just another version of Windoze, I haven't found anything note worthy yet.  The free upgrade is good for a year so maybe about Christmas they will have all the kinks ironed out.....

I've got a couple of systems going in soon and was hoping maybe to start them with a clean Win X install, but it looks too finicky to me to put into a production environment right now.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on August 06, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on August 06, 2015, 09:32:57 AM

Keep us posted. I'm counting on what you guys on here come up with as to when I'll download it.  Our MLS is telling us that the system may not work on W-10. So I' not jumping quickly. I guess I could run it on foxfire or something else, but I don't want to have to go through any hoops. Not patient enough right now...!

Ron...Win10 is an operating system, not a program that you'd run with Firefox.....I can understand not updating tho, if your work program may not run on it....that would stink...

Dennis, good things to know, thanx....

Willie...keep on giving updates on your install...I useOpen Office too....glad it works with Win10.... ;D

I just got the ok to install from them.......my fingers really close to the install button now......LOL....
Jon

BallAquatics

You should just go ahead and install it Jon, it will give you something to play around with.  LOL

I've got the Opera, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome browsers installed and all working fine.  Also FileZilla, GIMP, and Open Office all working fine too.

Did a full file download and database backup of Mugwump's without a hitch.....

It seems pretty snappy on my tired old laptop.....  it should fly on your new system!  LOL

Is your new system an HP?  I did run across this over on the WSJ website.....

QuoteIf you are using an HP computer, do NOT upgrade to Win 10. I downloaded it and it worked initially. Then after it did some update downloads my laptop rebooted. Subsequently, the HP logo flashed; so did the Win 10 logo. Next I got a grey screen with a movable white cursor. Screen froze making my computer inoperable. Took it to Microsoft store and tech dude said Win 10 problem on HP computers is a "known issue" and HP is "working on a solution." After a week of waiting, the problem persists. Sigh!
David Ecale
David Ecale
4 hours ago

Dennis

Mugwump

No, I have a Dell 3847.....nice rig....pretty quick too with only 4 gigs of ram....I may pull the trigger here soon... ;D.. as I haven't read issues updating my rig....

I do still have the old rig hooked up with XP tho..... :D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have decided to wait a few months before I install it.  I understand there are always unexpected problems with a brand new OS and it takes time to them to be fixed.  Look at Window 7 when it first came out.  I avoided it because I was told that it was a disaster.  But they did fix it and people use it and are happy with it.

If I knew how to save my Windows 8.1 and install Linux in it's place I would do it.  But I'm stupid with computer stuff so I have a huge fear :(
Always move forward. Never look back.