• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 02:09:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,363
  • Total Topics: 18,545
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 725
Total: 725

First cull on the multitudes

Started by LizStreithorst, October 05, 2014, 10:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

They're not yet dimes, but I disposed of 2 gill plates and 6 missing ventrals.  I looked long and hard, but there are several hundred so I'm sure I'll spot more as they grow.  Still, 8 culls from hundreds with both parents being pearl scales is many fewer than I expected.  I can't wait until these guys start to turn.  So far I only have one for sure hb.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 05, 2014, 10:04:48 AM
They're not yet dimes, but I disposed of 2 gill plates and 6 missing ventrals.  I looked long and hard, but there are several hundred so I'm sure I'll spot more as they grow.  Still, 8 culls from hundreds with both parents being pearl scales is many fewer than I expected.  I can't wait until these guys start to turn.  So far I only have one for sure hb.

Sounds good....if they're off the bottom, that'll keep most the ventrals forming well...how old...4wks or so??...good healthy parents helps to keep the 'curse' away too..good job, Liz....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

5 weeks tomorrow.

I went down to check the free swimming date and spotted 2 more missing ventrals ::)  Alas, I didn't have the net in my hand.
Always move forward. Never look back.