• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 11:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 536
Total: 536

Counting chickens before they're hatched

Started by LizStreithorst, February 07, 2017, 10:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I called the wholesaler to make sure that we were still on for Thursday and to ask if they'd take 325 rather than the 120 they were expecting.  We are not on.  The last batch of 350 I sent them crashed.  The other Angels they've brought in are fine.  I don't understand it.  I haven't added any outside fish to my fish room.  I have 80 left from the same batch I sent to them that are doing fine.

I asked Tammy if I could give her the 80 for free.  I need the tank space badly because I have more coming on.  She's going to ask the Barry, the boss man, and get back to me.  I had a good thing going.  I wish I had a clue as to what happened that screwed it up.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 07, 2017, 10:12:00 AM
I called the wholesaler to make sure that we were still on for Thursday and to ask if they'd take 325 rather than the 120 they were expecting.  We are not on.  The last batch of 350 I sent them crashed.  The other Angels they've brought in are fine.  I don't understand it.  I haven't added any outside fish to my fish room.  I have 80 left from the same batch I sent to them that are doing fine.

I asked Tammy if I could give her the 80 for free.  I need the tank space badly because I have more coming on.  She's going to ask the Barry, the boss man, and get back to me.  I had a good thing going.  I wish I had a clue as to what happened that screwed it up.

...350 crashed ?.....sounds like a buyer screw up if they all died there.....something fishy to me....yes, and a pun too.......

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't know if it was all 350 of them.  It could be their fault but it's not likely.  They make their living selling fish and birds.  They know how to keep them alive until they sell them.  All I know is that my fish aren't supposed to die and they died.  I also don't think that it was my fault.  It has to be one of our faults.  The fish didn't die for the fun of it.  I feel obligated to replace the fish regardless of whose fault it is.  I'd rather give away 350 smalls than to send a good relationship to the dumpster.  My reputation is more important to me than $350 worth of quarter size Angels.

On a lighter note, my daffodils have started blooming.

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Surely their filtration is up to par.  It could also have been an ammonia spike in the bags.  I didn't overload the bags with fish, but it's more likely..  Next time I'll starve the fish off food for longer and add a couple of drops of meth blue to the bags.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 07, 2017, 11:18:16 AM
Surely their filtration is up to par.  It could also have been an ammonia spike in the bags.  I didn't overload the bags with fish, but it's more likely..  Next time I'll starve the fish off food for longer and add a couple of drops of meth blue to the bags.

...they need to be promptly acclimated, and released, too.....just would be interesting to know how long they were left in the bags, and under what conditions...?.....were they even picked up as soon as you dropped them off.....350 die off is extremely odd to me...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm at the pick up place at 9:45.  The guy with the fish van is there at 10 on the dot.  I asked him once if the fish spend all day riding around in the van and he said no.  They have never had a problem with my fish.  This time they died.  I don't know why.  I will never know.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 07, 2017, 01:49:09 PM
This time they died.  I don't know why.  I will never know.

Sorry about your fish Liz.  It sucks when someone kills the fish you spent time and effort raising up.  It's impossible to know what they might have done with them..... just too many things to go wrong if not properly handled.

Dennis

Rjb3

I used to supply angels to a LFS. They would take 20 at a time. One time, all of a sudden, they all died. Boy, they were on the phone in a second asking what I was going to do about it. The fish were all scraped up. One impaled itself into a lava rock. It was stuck right into it. I replaced half of them and never sold them another fish. They told me later their filter stuck and wasn't working. They wanted more fish. . . . . . .

wallace

How long were they in the bags? I have a hard time seeing how this is your fault. Did they arrive in trouble or crash the next day...or... huh

Dan

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wallace on February 07, 2017, 02:49:42 PM
How long were they in the bags? I have a hard time seeing how this is your fault. Did they arrive in trouble or crash the next day...or... huh

I don't know.  When I spoke to Tammy I asked if Barry would call me back so I can find out more.  I don't know if he will.  She promises me a call tomorrow but I figure I'll get her.  What Tammy said is that this happens sometimes.  It's a cost of doing business.  When it happens they don't buy from that supplier for a while.  She said that they aren't going to dump me forever.

BallAquatics

So basically, they screwed up but won't admit to it.  That's sad.  That's one of my measuring sticks...

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'm not about to blame them.  They never asked me for free replacements.  They have always treated me fairly.  I just wish I knew more...

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 07, 2017, 03:32:17 PM
I'm not about to blame them.

I'm with you.  Very little is ever accomplished from assigning blame.  That said, if it were you and I in this transaction, we would both have the fortitude to call the other up and at least go over what happened.

I know you are upset, I'm sure the lady you spoke with knows you are upset.  Yet, her response is "This happens sometimes.  It's a cost of doing business.  When it happens they don't buy from that supplier for a while."  To me that's like she is saying "We are going to punish you by not buying from you for awhile."

I'll just shut-up about it, but it's not how I do business and I'm sure you don't either.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 07, 2017, 04:13:07 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 07, 2017, 03:32:17 PM
I'm not about to blame them.

I'm with you.  Very little is ever accomplished from assigning blame.  That said, if it were you and I in this transaction, we would both have the fortitude to call the other up and at least go over what happened.

I know you are upset, I'm sure the lady you spoke with knows you are upset.  Yet, her response is "This happens sometimes.  It's a cost of doing business.  When it happens they don't buy from that supplier for a while."  To me that's like she is saying "We are going to punish you by not buying from you for awhile."

I'll just shut-up about it, but it's not how I do business and I'm sure you don't either.

Dennis

..bingo......
Jon