• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 05:02:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 850
Total: 850

Speakers up Dennis...

Started by Mugwump, September 16, 2015, 05:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Very nice Jon, thank you.

I worked as an apprientice sound recording engineer under Joe Waters at the Appalachia Sound Recording Studio one summer shortly after I was out of high school.  They were one of the bands that would record there.

Dennis

Ron Sower

Both selections...very nice.

Dennis where were you living back then?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 17, 2015, 05:46:35 PM

I was sharing an apartment with my soon-to-be wife in Springfield Ohio.  The studio was nestled away in the hills of southern Ohio about 2.5 hours away.  It must have been '75 because I can remember listening to Archie Griffin running rampant every Saturday on the long drive back to Springfield.

By todays standards, it would be lacking, but in the mid '70's, it was state-of-the-art.  It featured 16 track recording to a 2" 3M 30 inch per second analog tape deck.  You could mix down to a variety of formats including 1/2 track 1/4 inch tape as well as cassette tape.  To this day, I still record to cassette tape, hence my Nakamichi cassette decks.

It looks as though Joe turned it into a full time training center sometime a couple of years later.  As will happen, I lost touch with Joe and the studio crew and found out several years ago that Joe passed away on February 18, 2008.  He was a fantastic teacher and mentor, and loved by all that met him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Workshop
https://www.facebook.com/Appalachia-Joe-Waters-Memorial-Fan-Page-333729826661579/

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: BallAquatics on September 18, 2015, 08:44:17 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on September 17, 2015, 05:46:35 PM

I was sharing an apartment with my soon-to-be wife in Springfield Ohio.  The studio was nestled away in the hills of southern Ohio about 2.5 hours away.  It must have been '75 because I can remember listening to Archie Griffin running rampant every Saturday on the long drive back to Springfield.

By todays standards, it would be lacking, but in the mid '70's, it was state-of-the-art.  It featured 16 track recording to a 2" 3M 30 inch per second analog tape deck.  You could mix down to a variety of formats including 1/2 track 1/4 inch tape as well as cassette tape.  To this day, I still record to cassette tape, hence my Nakamichi cassette decks.

It looks as though Joe turned it into a full time training center sometime a couple of years later.  As will happen, I lost touch with Joe and the studio crew and found out several years ago that Joe passed away on February 18, 2008.  He was a fantastic teacher and mentor, and loved by all that met him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Workshop
https://www.facebook.com/Appalachia-Joe-Waters-Memorial-Fan-Page-333729826661579/

Dennis

Some interesting life stories on this forum. I was wondering if it were in any part of  southwest Va (MY country) or eastern Tn. I didn't take a real detailed interest in recording music or band members names. I read what or forum members have done and think they're amazing in many cases.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 19, 2015, 11:10:21 AM
I was wondering if it were in any part of  southwest Va (MY country) or eastern Tn.

Just a stones throw from Point Pleasant WV.  Home of the Mothman.   ;)

Dennis