• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 01:23:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 815
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 797
Total: 797

Wigglers

Started by LizStreithorst, February 16, 2015, 04:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

See all the black stuff on the cone?  Those are wigglers.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Congrats. Looks like a nice sized spawn. Best wishes with them. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

It's hard to get this pair's fry to attach.  I put on San Fan Bay BBS this morning and am prepared to try a trick that worked once before.  I had a bunch of fry attached to a BD pair.  They were too young to take BBS.  I got a wild hair and tossed in some of the dirt I grow my red wigglers in.  The fry left their parent's sides and went to the tank bottom to feed of the micororganisms in the worm compost.  It was the second coolest fish thing I've ever seen.

Mugwump

Well congrat's....I'm wondering micro worms would have similar success, after falling through the water column...they collect, wiggling, on the bottom...they live longer in water too
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

With Discus, if the food is visable to the human eye it is likely too large for newly free swimming fry to eat.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 16, 2015, 06:36:51 PM
With Discus, if the food is visable to the human eye it is likely too large for newly free swimming fry to eat.

Wow, with all that movement you'd think they'd be drawn to it.....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Their mouths are too small.

b125killer

Nice, good luck with them.  What about vinegar eels? them things are too small for me too see.
Scott

LizStreithorst

If I don't raise this batch of wigglers I'll look in to vinegar eels.  These will free swimm tomorrow and vinegar eels take time.

b125killer

What about people feeding egg yoke to the fry? I'm not sure how it works, I would think that would make one heck of a mess.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 16, 2015, 07:16:25 PM
If I don't raise this batch of wigglers I'll look in to vinegar eels.  These will free swimm tomorrow and vinegar eels take time.

I have vinegar eel cultures...if you ever need them......ready to go...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I may take you up on your offer, Jon.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 16, 2015, 07:48:40 PM
I may take you up on your offer, Jon.

Just let me know when.... ;D
Jon

BillT

With Discus, if the food is visible to the human eye it is likely too large for newly free swimming fry to eat.

Microworms (as well as Walter worms and vinegar eels) range from small but visible to much smaller ones that pretty much require a microscope to see. These are all structurally similar animals. They lay round eggs that fit into their bodies. The baby worms that hatch out are small enough to fit coiled up in the eggs. They are really small and would be part of any growing culture's population.
I have also seen baby Danios suck in microworms like a spaghetti noodle.

If you want food on the bottom, vinegar eels may not be for you. They swim well and make a good mid-water prey item. Both micro- and Walter worms will end up on the bottom.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on February 16, 2015, 08:22:27 PM
With Discus, if the food is visible to the human eye it is likely too large for newly free swimming fry to eat.

Microworms (as well as Walter worms and vinegar eels) range from small but visible to much smaller ones that pretty much require a microscope to see. These are all structurally similar animals. They lay round eggs that fit into their bodies. The baby worms that hatch out are small enough to fit coiled up in the eggs. They are really small and would be part of any growing culture's population.
I have also seen baby Danios suck in microworms like a spaghetti noodle.

If you want food on the bottom, vinegar eels may not be for you. They swim well and make a good mid-water prey item. Both micro- and Walter worms will end up on the bottom.

Yep, but they group together depending where the current sends them, they then wiggle away for most of the day....I like em for fry because of this....they eat em from the water column, then scarf them off the bottom between feedings....
Jon