• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 07:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

Like a fool...

Started by LizStreithorst, January 19, 2015, 01:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

...I keep hoping that my solid brown red recovers from sterility.  He and his Alanquer pheonotype wife have eggs again.  I moved the PB pair to their own love nest so the Brown's are in a 100 gallon with 11 hungry adult Angels of several strains.  The Brown sapwned yesterday morning.  This afternoon the eggs are still there and about half still appear viable.  The parents are guarding them like I've never seen them guard.  The sterile male has turned dark with slime to feed the fry.

Like a fool I think that if I don't give up on this pair, one day the male will recover and give me fry.  I know that I'm wrong, but what's the harm in hoping? 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..ya never know....perhaps this is his best 'shot' at it...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Here are a couple of pics.  The female is the one in the foreground the male is the one fanning and blowing on the eggs.  I know that with Angelfish the female does the eggs and the male does the protecting but Discus tend to divide the chores.  The male is a good brown red, but look at how dark he is now.  He believes these eggs are good.  They sure look good to my eye.

LizStreithorst

It might be nice if I attached the pics ::)

Mugwump

Pretty pair...I wish them good fortune.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Liz that's something we could apply to a variety of items not just fish. Like all the little pieces of wood I keep. There will come a time when I will need that!
Or the 30+ year old filters I still have. But alas I am using a few of them now. So that strategy did pan out after all.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

Finger crossed that you get some fry Liz.  All you can do is keep trying and keep hoping.  I was down to my last 4 Devario sondhii and after repeated attempts to get them to spawn it looked as if the two females were hopelessly egg bound.  As of 11/30/2014 I now have about 100+ fry!!!

I'll be rooting for you and your fish.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Thanks, Dennis.  You understand that these are special to me.

wsantia1

Good luck Liz. I hope everything works out with them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

Hope it works out for you Liz. Pretty pair and the eggs look viable.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

They're pretty Liz, i can understand why you hold out hope for them. Good luck with them i hope they surprise you.
Scott

LizStreithorst

This morning they are guarding a wad of fungus.  Very sad :'(

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 20, 2015, 08:28:02 AM
This morning they are guarding a wad of fungus.  Very sad :'(

They must think that somethings in there......look real close...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Plan B...I have an egg eating HB pair spawning as I type.  When they get through I'm going to move their eggs to another tank, put the Discus pair in, and see if they will care for the eggs and foster the fry.

It was done before by the owner of simple.  Coolest thing I'd ever seen.  The Angel babies were eating from the Discus' sides.  If it doesn't work, no biggie.  I really don't need the fry.  If it does will work it will give the Discus pair a sense of purpose.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 20, 2015, 04:38:11 PM
Plan B...I have an egg eating HB pair spawning as I type.  When they get through I'm going to move their eggs to another tank, put the Discus pair in, and see if they will care for the eggs and foster the fry.

It was done before by the owner of simple.  Coolest thing I'd ever seen.  The Angel babies were eating from the Discus' sides.  If it doesn't work, no biggie.  I really don't need the fry.  If it does will work it will give the Discus pair a sense of purpose.

Liz, I like the way you think........great idea !!!!!!!!
Jon