• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 10:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 525
Total: 525

Still Sunny Sunday

Started by wsantia1, March 07, 2021, 09:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful Sunday here but it is still cold at 38 degrees and our temp going up to 43F this afternoon.

Beginning Tuesday we will start a 4 day stretch of temps in the mid to high 60s without a drop of rain. It will still be in the 60s on Saturday but we have some rain in that forecast.

I'm in the fishroom looking at tanks and making notes on what is needed in each of them. I have some old glass lids that are so messed up that sometimes I get small cuts on my fingers and don't even notice them until later in the day.

I have already replaced some of them with a homemade lid I made out of Lexan Polycarbonate Sheets from Home Depot. The material is super light, sturdy and doesn't warp. It is also much easier to clean. No scrubbing needed. All you do is rinse and wipe. I still two 2'x4' sheets left so I need to replace some more.

On the Covid-19 front, aside from very light "pain" when I touch my arm at the site of the injection I have absolutely no after effects from the shot.

I'm wishing you all have a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Barb

Hi Willie, great to hear you have no ill effects from the shot .  Hoping the same for me next Sat, day after my 2nd shot.  I am very interested in the Lexan, I will drive to our nearest HD to look for it.  I am thinking it is expensive since it works so well?  How is it cut to fit?  Do you do it or has to be done elsewhere?  Very similar weather here to yours, even though am a few hundred miles south of you!
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on March 07, 2021, 03:29:56 PM
Hi Willie, great to hear you have no ill effects from the shot .  Hoping the same for me next Sat, day after my 2nd shot.  I am very interested in the Lexan, I will drive to our nearest HD to look for it.  I am thinking it is expensive since it works so well?  How is it cut to fit?  Do you do it or has to be done elsewhere?  Very similar weather here to yours, even though am a few hundred miles south of you!
Barb

Barb, I actually cut mine with a razor and strong scissor. After cutting them I used sandpaper to smooth any sharp edges. I get hooks from the dollar store and use them as handles. I don't recall the sheets being too expensive. I know I bought 5 sheets from HD and I caught them on sale for about $75. You can make a lot of lids for small tanks from a sheet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-Thermoclear-24-in-x-48-in-x-1-4-in-Clear-Multiwall-Polycarbonate-Sheet-5-Pack-LP2448CLPCMW-5/205164886?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA-71700000014585962-58700001236285396-92700010802552517&gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkvd6FjBlk7NXEg6D8ABkfu2z8Rvhc4dTLINBemzzKB9RxHzRUtYWahoCC-YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds   
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I Barb and Willie and Ron.  I hardly hurt at all today.  I have no idea what I've done right.  The past few have I've hurting more than usual.  What a relief.

My mystery snails started hatching.  I have the new babies in a dip and pour.  I still have more to hatch.  This is so much fun to me.  I went to the store and bought baby food and and Knox gelatin and made my own snello.  The eggs and shrimp go nuts for it.

I also have a wigglers about to free swim from one of my great grand rams.  I'm glad to be able to tell potential buyers that their fish will be old enough to spawn and get it right.

I'm on a fried rice kick.  So much so I'm considering buying a wok.  The best ones are made of carbon steel and need seasoning like cast iron does.  They're not expensive, though.  I've been making it in my cast iron pan but that sucker sure is heavy.  Non stick pans are the worst for a wok for several reasons.

Time for WC.  See y'all later.
Always move forward. Never look back.