• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 02:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 617
Total: 618

HOB or sponge?

Started by JC, November 12, 2014, 06:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

What kind of filtration do you guys use?  Hang on back only, sponges only, or both in same tank?  Why do you use what you use?

LizStreithorst

Sponges only.  There is a greater surface area for beneficial bacteria, require less maintenance, and are cheaper to run.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

I'm doing both on the same tank but I want to switch to just sponges and supplement with the hot mags. 8) I think my tanks are too overstocked for that right now. ::)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 12, 2014, 06:59:24 PM
I'm doing both on the same tank but I want to switch to just sponges and supplement with the hot mags. 8) I think my tanks are too overstocked for that right now. ::)

Righto, Willie......on a few of my 55's, etc...I still run both because I tend to overstock the fry...I supplement with the HOT mag, and larger volume water changes tho....keeps everything peachie  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

HMF and sponges.  Way too many tanks to run power filters.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Josh, you have that big fine pump that will handle way more air devices than you have?  It's a no brainer in your case.  Take advantage of your pump.  Go with sponges. 

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 12, 2014, 07:03:55 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on November 12, 2014, 06:59:24 PM

Righto, Willie......on a few of my 55's, etc...I still run both because I tend to overstock the fry...I supplement with the HOT mag, and larger volume water changes tho....keeps everything peachie  ;D

I hit them with the larger water changes too. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I should have added that I've probably got 80+ sponges going too....most tanks are all sponges..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 12, 2014, 07:06:16 PM
Josh, you have that big fine pump that will handle way more air devices than you have?  It's a no brainer in your case.  Take advantage of your pump.  Go with sponges.

Oh man I love this pump I just hooked it up today and it's so powerful and quiet. Every tank I have (and will have) is going to have sponges just not sure if I want to completely nix the HOB's or not. With the hot mag you guys are talking about do you move it from tank to tank??

Mugwump

It's a hang on the tank Magnum filter....the little brother of the big 'mag's....and yes, you can move them around easily, they're great for after water changes to capture the remaining debris..plus to use any time as a aux filter....I have three, plus three Diatom filters....my 'big boy', XL' is running on the 130 right now....filters to a micron..... ;D

http://www.lakesideliquidation.com/marineland-hot-magnum-250-dual-purpose-canister-filter/?gclid=CJqmmtS19sECFQYFaQod1GgAbQ

Jon

LizStreithorst

I used to run one on everything but breeding tanks 24/7.  I had a ton of them.  Mine lasted a long time but not forever as I'd hoped.  I love them.  Big Al's had a very good price on them last time I looked.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 12, 2014, 07:55:52 PM
I used to run one on everything but breeding tanks 24/7.  I had a ton of them.  Mine lasted a long time but not forever as I'd hoped.  I love them.  Big Al's had a very good price on them last time I looked.

..and carry's the parts too....easy to fix as long as the motor's not fried from running dry...
Jon

JC

Those hot mags are neat. How long do you usually leave it on a tank before switching it?

GraphicGr8s

I've got mostly Tetra filters on 8 tanks, an Aquamaster on 1 a sump on one and the old school box filters on some 10 breeding tanks. The old Aquamasters are great on breeding tanks. I don't use the Tetras on breeders since the fry get mashed by the impeller.  I do like the Tetras also just for the simplicity of them.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

I deally I would agree with Liz and Dennis. I  An HMF is just a super big sponge.

But I also have some air drive box filters in tanks (cheap, OK for a light bio-load) and I have some racks of tanks with a big pump and central filtration. This is efficient by centralizing a lot of maintenance and monitoring and making automation easier and cheaper (having fewer things to control).