• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 07:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 594
Total: 595

Inline filters

Started by Jdmcfast, June 12, 2013, 10:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

I just had two 10" canister type tap water filters and a faucet installed right next to my main holding tank. They put one carbon and one 10 micron sediment filter in them is this sufficient to remove most of the contaminants? Or do I need a different combination? I would like to get most of the chlorine and fluoride out with them if possible

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

Mugwump

It sounds about right..I run mine through about the same setup and it gets my chlorine. Check your water output to be sure. I don't run mine full throttle, it gives it a slower pass through the filters...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mugwump on June 12, 2013, 12:45:01 PM
It sounds about right..I run mine through about the same setup and it gets my chlorine. Check your water output to be sure. I don't run mine full throttle, it gives it a slower pass through the filters...
You do use a 10 micron? I was thinking of using a 5 but all he had with him was a 10. Approx how many gallons do you get between filter changes? What type of test do u use to check chlorine level? Do u still use prime/safe as well? Sorry for the rapid questions lol

Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on June 12, 2013, 01:01:33 PM
You do use a 10 micron? I was thinking of using a 5 but all he had with him was a 10. Approx how many gallons do you get between filter changes? What type of test do u use to check chlorine level? Do u still use prime/safe as well? Sorry for the rapid questions lol

I like the 5 micron carbon filters. I run a couple/few thousand gallons a week through them. A chlorine test kit. I date the filters when I change them and will put new ones in every couple months....they seem to do fine. If the water output slows, I'll change immediately tho. It'll really depend on your water. Say, if you have a well...then surely more often. Check your sediment filter for build up to get an idea on your setup. I normally don't use Safe at that time, but if I have some really crowded grow out tanks, it helps keep the nitrate down. IMHO...1/2 a dose of what's required is all....I'm sure Frank has a better handle on it and will set me straight...LOL...but it works for me. I'm considering adding another carbon filter for better efficiency, and peace of mind...but as I said....it's working well for me now.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mugwump on June 12, 2013, 01:18:03 PM
Quote from: Jdmcfast on June 12, 2013, 01:01:33 PM

I like the 5 micron carbon filters. I run a couple/few thousand gallons a week through them. A chlorine test kit. I date the filters when I change them and will put new ones in every couple months....they seem to do fine. If the water output slows, I'll change immediately tho. It'll really depend on your water. Say, if you have a well...then surely more often. Check your sediment filter for build up to get an idea on your setup. I normally don't use Safe at that time, but if I have some really crowded grow out tanks, it helps keep the nitrate down. IMHO...1/2 a dose of what's required is all....I'm sure Frank has a better handle on it and will set me straight...LOL...but it works for me. I'm considering adding another carbon filter for better efficiency, and peace of mind...but as I said....it's working well for me now.....
Thanks Jon

Josh