• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 11:25:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

Wild Birds

Started by LizStreithorst, January 15, 2014, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

The damn things are eating me out of house and home.  Right now I have mostly finches (house finches, purple finches, and Gold finches).  There are also Black Headed Junko's, Tit Mice, and Chickadees.  It's the Gold Finches that are killing me.  I have 4 feeders that I need to fill daily.  When I walk out the front door, huge swarms of them fly into the trees.  They're going through   50 lbs of black oil sunflower seeds a week!  They're not cheap!  Perhaps when spring arrives I'll till up a large area and plant a bunch of seeds and save the seeds the plants produce so I can feed them in winter.

I missed the first invasion of the Cedar Wax wings.  It must have happened while I was at work.  They arrive en mass, pick one female holly tree bare and move on.  A couple of weeks later I'll get another invasion that does the same with another holly.  They're great to watch and have a subtle beauty. More importantly, they cost nothing.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Sounds like you are popular.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on January 15, 2014, 02:12:46 PM
Sounds like you are popular.

Hmmmm..sounds like 'Hitchcock'.. ;D.....You can grow Sunflowers real easily...then harvest big bags for yourself....I'll bet it's a pretty site tho....my Mom used to put an old video camera on the front, glassed in, porch...then Dad would run a line, and hook it up to the TV/VCR...she would watch all the various birds come through, and switch on the recorder to capture them ...Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Liz I agree with you completely regarding Cedar Wax Wings.  I've only seen pictures of them but they are very lovely birds.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wiggs

Liz, I have grown Sunflowers, very easy. Only thing that you have to watch for is squirrels they will eat them even before the seeds are ready. Maybe put a couple of dogs on gaurd duty. :D
Jan

Barb

Wow, lots of birds Liz!  We have quite a lot too, and we feed whole dried corn to the squirrels, trying to keep them off the bird feeders.  Works a bit but not always.  We have a couple rabbits who eat from the ground under the feeders too.  And the occasional coon, bobcat and small rodents, all hanging around the feeders that Bill has full.
Barb