• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 02:00:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

What's Cooking

Started by LizStreithorst, August 31, 2014, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've been off cooking for a while.  Who knows why... I decided to make something I made when I lived in Mexico.  It's a one pan meal and very good.  I can smell it cooking and I'm almost drooling on myself.

Season a couple of pork chops and pan fry them until they are not quite fully cooked.  Bone in is better.  Set aside.

Add a touch more oil to the pan and brown a cup of raw long grain rice over medium for 4 or 5 minutes.  Stir it often so it won't burn.

Add a chopped on onion, a chopped green pepper, and bit of chopped celery and add to the rice.  Stir often for another 5 minutes until fragrance is released.  Add a smashed and minced clove of garlic for the last minute.  Put in a good sprinkle of chili powder.

Add a small can Rotel Casera sauce and the pork chops which you will have cut into cubes. Throw in the bone too.  Bones have flavor to give and when you take them out you get to give them to the dogs.   Add 2 cups if water. (I was out so had no choice but to use water). 

Bring to a boil, stir once, put on a tight lid, then put on low heat on your smallest burner  After 20 minutes taste the rice.  If the rice is perfect, the dish is done.  You may have to add a couple tablespoons more of stock and give it another 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let it stand covered for 15 minutes.

I forgot about the salt and pepper.  Put it on the pork chops and add more salt as needed when you add the liquid to the rice/vegetable mixture. 

It's even better left over when the flavors have a chance to blend.  You just need to add a bit more liquid when you warm it up.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

....shut your windows...I can smell that up here....LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D MMMmmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson