• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 526
Total: 526

Winston & Helen...

Started by Mugwump, May 14, 2014, 06:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...have inspected da box again.....soon....very soon  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(plus, she looks like a tennis ball with legs) ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

The anticipation is killing me.
Scott

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wiggs

I have e-mailed a parrottlet breeder to find out if there was something that we were doing wrong and she said that this has been a bad year for parrottlets. Alot of breeders are having no eggs or the eggs  not hatching. She said that her birds had 2 cluches and both didn`t hatch.  I met her and her bussiness partener at the bird fair where I bought Winston and Helen. She rembered me talking to her ( good memory) as she goes to alot of Fairs.  She said to give it time and give them some protein in their seed. Will keep everyone up on their progress. 
Jan

PaulineMi

Maybe Winston and Helen should be moved to the fishroom.  There seems to be lots of reproduction in there.  ;D  ;D ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 15, 2014, 05:24:26 AM
Maybe Winston and Helen should be moved to the fishroom.  There seems to be lots of reproduction in there.  ;D  ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 15, 2014, 05:24:26 AM

We've been thinking about this too..... ;D.....I'm pretty sure that we're not doing anything wrong, after all this has only been their home for a short while....and probably their first attempt at this too...we'll remain patient, and see what happens...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Waaaaaay back fish, birds and reptiles were connected somehow and split off through evolution.  Maybe some primitive instincts will be awakened.......
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 15, 2014, 07:22:15 AM
Waaaaaay back fish, birds and reptiles were connected somehow and split off through evolution. 

Was that connection to which you're referring the long lost ancestral species known as the Fisbirreptosaurus? The often quoted Prehistoric Chronicle reported that the species became geographically separated into 3 separate populations in the Premammalian Period of the Creepycrawlersceine Era. It has been long established that prior to the separation, the Fisbirreptosaurus drew straws to determine which evolving group was going to give rise to the Mammalian Phylum (eventually giving rise to mankind was the plan) and the 3 groups went on their merry ways, actively searching out volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, rivers, deserts, meteor attacks on earth, etc. in order to geographically separate themselves, for the purpose of and evolving into fish, birds, and reptiles, while leaving a small population of Fisbirreptosaurians behind to stagnate in their evolutionary ways. Obviously, as we see now, the reptile spinnoff group drew the short straw and was destined to give rise to the Human species down the road in a few million years. At about the time of the first recorded sighting of Adam and Eve, the Prehistoric Chronicles reported the last words of the last known Fisbirreptosaurian as, "Oh geesh! Now look what we've done!"

I'm sorry, friends....I woke up early and just had to do something while I'm trying to sit here quietly not waking my bride!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Yes, Ron...I believe that's what it was.     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mugwump

Golly, I feel so enlightened.....LOL...thanks, Ron...I will wonder no more..... ;D
Jon

BillT

Well done Ron. That reminds me of a fake e-mail response I got several years ago which I also found very funny:

Paleoanthropology Division
Smithsonian Institute
207 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20078

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your latest submission to the Institute, labeled "211-D, layer seven, next to the clothesline post. Hominid skull." We have given this specimen a careful and detailed examination, and regret to inform you that we disagree with your theory that it represents "conclusive proof of the presence of Early Man in Charleston County two million years ago." Rather, it appears that what you have found is the head of a Barbie doll, of the variety one of our staff, who has small children, believes to be the "Malibu Barbie". It is evident that you have given a great deal of thought to the analysis of this specimen, and you may be quite certain that those of us who are familiar with your prior work in the field were loathe to come to contradiction with your findings. However, we do feel that there are a number of physical attributes of the specimen which might have tipped you off to it's modern origin:

1. The material is molded plastic. Ancient hominid remains are typically fossilized bone.

2. The cranial capacity of the specimen is approximately 9 cubic centimeters, well below the threshold of even the earliest identified proto-hominids.

3. The dentition pattern evident on the "skull" is more consistent with the common domesticated dog than it is with the "ravenous man-eating Pliocene clams" you speculate roamed the wetlands during that time. This latter finding is certainly one of the most intriguing hypotheses you have submitted in your history with this institution, but the evidence seems to weigh rather heavily against it. Without going into too much detail, let us say that:

A. The specimen looks like the head of a Barbie doll that a dog has chewed on.

B. Clams don't have teeth.

It is with feelings tinged with melancholy that we must deny your request to have the specimen carbon dated. This is partially due to the heavy load our lab must bear in it's normal operation, and partly due to carbon dating's notorious inaccuracy in fossils of recent geologic record. To the best of our knowledge, no Barbie dolls were produced prior to 1956 AD, and carbon dating is likely to produce wildly inaccurate results. Sadly, we must also deny your request that we approach the National Science Foundation's Phylogeny Department with the concept of assigning your specimen the scientific name "Australopithecus spiff-arino." Speaking personally, I, for one, fought tenaciously for the acceptance of your proposed taxonomy, but was ultimately voted down because the species name you selected was hyphenated, and didn't really sound like it might be Latin.

However, we gladly accept your generous donation of this fascinating specimen to the museum. While it is undoubtedly not a hominid fossil, it is, nonetheless, yet another riveting example of the great body of work you seem to accumulate here so effortlessly. You should know that our Director has reserved a special shelf in his own office for the display of the specimens you have previously submitted to the Institution, and the entire staff speculates daily on what you will happen upon next in your digs at the site you have discovered in your back yard. We eagerly anticipate your trip to our nation's capital that you proposed in your last letter, and several of us are pressing the Director to pay for it. We are particularly interested in hearing you expand on your theories surrounding the "trans-positating fillifitation of ferrous ions in a structural matrix" that makes the excellent juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex femur you recently discovered take on the deceptive appearance of a rusty 9-mm Sears Craftsman automotive crescent wrench.

Yours in Science,

Harvey Rowe
Curator, Antiquities

There is an interesting hoax analysis at http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/smithsonian.asp#l69lvDZRGY87zodG.99

Mugwump

;;;love'n it..... ;D...thanks, Bill...
Jon

PaulineMi

Winston and Helen may never know what deep thinking they've inspired on the forum today.

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on May 15, 2014, 01:19:49 PM
Winston and Helen may never know what deep thinking they've inspired on the forum today.

No, and let's thank God for that!!!  What could be simpler than settleing down to raise a family.....

Dennis