• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 518
Total: 518

HMF's

Started by Ron Sower, October 11, 2013, 08:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Dennis, I'm moving this discussion to a new topic so we don't derail the topic on plastic airstones.

Thanks for the feedback on the HMF and leaves. I get that now! 

I have 2x54g corner tanks with curve fronts, heavily planted.  Currently I run 2 canisters on one which is a small fish community tank. On the other I run a canister and a large Aquaclear HOB one the other which houses 12-14 clown loaches. (they are, like, my puppies..!)I've been considering going to one or two Aquaclear HOB on each. The canisters' intake tubes just clog too often and cleaning the canisters themselves is getting to be too much bending and lifting heavy stuff for me which continues to exacerbate my back pains. It's SO much easier to clean out the Aquaclears...

I'm thinking I might try an HMF on the one with the clowns and drop the other filtration.  Anyone out there got any thoughts you want to share on this?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Boy do I ever hear you re the canisters and back pain.  :-[

I have HMF filtation running in my discus tank and in the sump for that tank. It's been a great system but its not pretty once it gets established. In a non -discus tank I would use black rather than blue foam, especially in a display tank. That being said I find the water to stay crystal clear with no fluctuations in water parameters. Plus the jet litters keep a nice flow of running across the water surface.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

If I do the HMF I will curve it in the back corner of the tank and plant in front of it to '' mask'' it.  Here's where I'm hoping the leaves don't get sucked next to it and block the flow.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Ron you should send an email to Stephan.  He's the HMF guru here in the US.  swisstropicals at gmail dot com.

Dennis

Ron Sower

Thank you Dennis. I have been on his website in the past. I'll go there again before I do anything.

Pauline, what's a ''jet litter''?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

They are very cool lift tubes.  No air stone, very little air required and they move lots of water.

This is in German, but it gives you an idea of the water flow with the jet lifters.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

I haven't seen those before now. they are very interesting.

Could one also use a power head to pull water to the back side of the HMF and shoot it over and back into the tank?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on October 14, 2013, 10:21:39 AM
I haven't seen those before now. they are very interesting.

Could one also use a power head to pull water to the back side of the HMF and shoot it over and back into the tank?

You won't need a power head...air will give you tons of water thru those lift tubes..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Just wondering...since I have some powerheads already...!!!  ;D
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Ron, you could do that if that's what you want.  Stephan had a large mechanical water pump in his 240 gallon tank behind the HMF.  I've also seen them where you put a pump behind the HMF and run the output to the opposite end of the tank to get a river effect with the water flowing in one direction only.  They are very versatile and if you can dream it up, you can usually make it work.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 14, 2013, 10:52:04 AM
Ron, you could do that if that's what you want.  Stephan had a large mechanical water pump in his 240 gallon tank behind the HMF.  I've also seen them where you put a pump behind the HMF and run the output to the opposite end of the tank to get a river effect with the water flowing in one direction only.  They are very versatile and if you can dream it up, you can usually make it work.

Dennis

LOL...rapids!!!!!.....Most fish wouldn't handle that well..LOL...but then again, Ron can catch some coho... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

yo! yo! catch the coho!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron