• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 11:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 613
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 543
Total: 543

H O T Mag's are cleaned...

Started by Mugwump, November 16, 2013, 03:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Well, got em all cleaned up for the morning water changes tomorrow.  ;D...Big changes, moving fry and some others around. It'll be a busy day. I'll likely run the Diatom's too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Wish i could fiqure out that old diatom filter i have

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on November 16, 2013, 03:29:57 PM
Wish i could fiqure out that old diatom filter i have

Set up without the powder....clamp a cup with water and powder inside the tank..put the 'out' tube in the tank...suck on the 'in' tube to fill the jar....then put both tubes in the cup, turn it on....let the bag in the jar coat with the powder til the jar water is clear...a few minutes, or so.....slide the cup down and off....you're going.....

If you use an extension cord on the plug, you can first crimp the out flow, then the intake..(I fold and clamp them).....move to another tank while it's still running....remove intake first, then out flow...it's going again in there....etc...etc....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

This old time one i got is crazy looking,and it didn't come with directions

LizStreithorst

How far do you break yours down when you clean them, Mug?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Bob, they work basically the same way.

Liz, I pull it completely apart...brush out the tubes, change filters, bleach the used ones in a gallon jug, wipe down rubber gaskets and all.....when I reassemble, I add a couple caps of peroxide and fill with water, close it up ready to use....I do this every other cleaning.....regular clean is a filter change(bleach clean dirty one) and complete rinse and sponge wipe down..
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 16, 2013, 03:05:55 PM
Well, got em all cleaned up for the morning water changes tomorrow.  ;D...Big changes, moving fry and some others around. It'll be a busy day. I'll likely run the Diatom's too....

Thanks to your advice I now have both my Hot Mags running.  Won't need to run the diatom this week. I only have about 25% of the workload you do. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I rarely do such a good job on mine.  I'll have to change my ways.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 16, 2013, 05:10:12 PM
I rarely do such a good job on mine.  I'll have to change my ways.

Sounds good Liz....it doesn't take long and it keeps any nastys from making a home. ;D ;D
Jon