• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 04:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 584
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 551
Total: 551

Hot mags

Started by Mugwump, October 05, 2013, 10:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I run my 'mags' most the time with the filter cartridges, but I like to use floss in the basket with a little charcoal every once in a while. I have a few of the hot mags, and move them around....anyone else have similar, or different methods?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I mostly use the micron filter cartridge.  My basket look new.  ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

The advantage of floss in the basket is that it lasts longer, and you can discard the media, rather than clean/bleach it.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have them running on all my tanks.  I use the micron filters only.  They last a very long time, but when I finally wear them out I buy from a place Petmountain.com.  They have the best price on them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 05, 2013, 02:28:47 PM
I have them running on all my tanks.  I use the micron filters only.  They last a very long time, but when I finally wear them out I buy from a place Petmountain.com.  They have the best price on them.

Wow.  $6.89 at Petmountain.  Thanks for that info Liz. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 05, 2013, 02:28:47 PM

I clean my filter cartridges in a gallon jar. Fill with water to the first slope of the neck, add about 12oz bleach, plop in the filter and let it sit overnight. In the morning I just rinse under harder flowing water to flush off the last dirt, whatnot....then put out to air dry....I can rotate the filters that way...every once in a bit, I'll order new ones and toss the flimsiest one(s) away...
Jon

b125killer

I love my Hot mags. I do the same as you Jon. I rotate them around with the  filter cartridges. I haven't tried cleaning one with bleach yet. But that sounds like a great ideal. I think I'm going to get one going soon. When I got the 4 hot mags there was also some new cartridges in there too. I love to find deals like that.
Scott

wsantia1

Quote from: b125killer on October 05, 2013, 04:58:00 PM
I love my Hot mags. I do the same as you Jon. I rotate them around with the  filter cartridges. I haven't tried cleaning one with bleach yet. But that sounds like a great ideal. I think I'm going to get one going soon. When I got the 4 hot mags there was also some new cartridges in there too. I love to find deals like that.

The bleach made my cartridge look like new.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 05, 2013, 08:13:03 PM
Quote from: b125killer on October 05, 2013, 04:58:00 PM

The bleach made my cartridge look like new.

Yeppers....and hardly any work at all...LOL...just remember to air dry them well, or soak in dechlor, if you need it quick...
Jon

P4Angels

I picked up 2 of these a couple weeks back off of C/L for 50.00.... That make 3 that we have....  Love them
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...