• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 07:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 554
Total: 555

Back to Debian

Started by BallAquatics, July 08, 2015, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 10, 2015, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2015, 03:03:42 PM
...didn't it come with DOS ?...or at least later versions of it..??

Not any version that I had.  The first versions of DOS up to probably version 4.0 didn't even come with an editor.  You got the OS and some command line tools and the GW Basic interpreter.  Around version 4 they threw in a basic editor and some memory management utilities.

Dennis

I could have sworn that about ver 5, or 6 they added it in.....oh well.....LOL....I got it (pkzip) somewhere then....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Maybe you are thinking of the DoubleSpace drive compression utility?

Here's all the versions and what they shipped with.....  https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/1x

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 10, 2015, 05:19:33 PM
Maybe you are thinking of the DoubleSpace drive compression utility?

Here's all the versions and what they shipped with.....  https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/1x

Dennis

try these.....

https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos       ver (5)

https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/6x
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yea, version 6 had the disk compression, but it was far different from PKZip's file compression.  As I recall the DOS compression was buggy as all get-out and they changed it with every version.... 6.0, 6.2, 6.21, 6.22, etc

It wasn't until 5.0 that they added the full editor.....

Yep, back then I could rock a computer programming in assembly language and hi-level MS professional basic, (more like Pascal with modules and sub-routines).  I was a contract programmer back then and PC networks weren't even around yet.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 10, 2015, 05:37:41 PM
Yea, version 6 had the disk compression, but it was far different from PKZip's file compression.  As I recall the DOS compression was buggy as all get-out and they changed it with every version.... 6.0, 6.2, 6.21, 6.22, etc

It wasn't until 5.0 that they added the full editor.....

Yep, back then I could rock a computer programming in assembly language and hi-level MS professional basic, (more like Pascal with modules and sub-routines).  I was a contract programmer back then and PC networks weren't even around yet.  LOL

Dennis

I remember the DOS 6 disks for Corporate installations .....I helped install them in all our old IBM laptops......what a pain....MicroSoft wrote in C++ didn't they..??    by the by.....DOS games were the greatest...... ;D

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/
Jon

BallAquatics

It was probably just plain C back then.  C++ was to come later with "object-oriented" concepts.  C was a higher level language than assembly and therefore supposed to be much easier, but I always thought it was a PITA and it didn't have the power of assembly.  At any rate, most of the languages did the same thing, you wrote the easy stuff in the high level language, and when you needed speed and power you coded in assembly and then linked those modules in when you compiled the final code to make your .exe program.

These days it's nothing but sloppy code using interpreted languages, scripts really.  It's like fashions, we're moving back to client server based systems, (the cloud), where most of the work is done on the server and that's where all the software gets updated.  I've been doing that with many of my clients for quite some time now and it sure makes things easier on the admins.

Just imagine if every time the forum software needed updating, that we had to update all the systems using it rather than just the server that runs it.  LOL

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Back in HS I learned to program in Fortran. Use to come up with games too.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were