• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 08:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 398
Total: 398

Back to Debian

Started by BallAquatics, July 08, 2015, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:31:09 PM
Yes.  Let's see, that's only $240.00 a year compared to using GIMP for $0 a year.  How can I afford to pass up such a great deal   :o

I think we're a bit behind the open source curve here in the US, but we'll catch up.....

Dennis
\
On a personal side gimp might be worth it. Professionally none of the free programs out there can match Photoshop. And since we are a business we have to have the real versions.
Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator are the best out there for maximizing production. My problem would be I am so used to Adobe switching over would actually cost me a great deal of money in billable time. And I'd still need to keep abreast of PS and Indesign since I sometimes have to teach them.

But I do love when people try to create stuff in Word or Punisher. Seems no one actually knows how to use them correctly then I get to go back and fix it for them. And I don't even know those programs very well. Just more than my clients do I guess.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

Yes, I can see lost productivity and revenue when switching to unfamiliar software, but I'm not sure I buy the part about it not being up to the task.  One of the tech mags I get from the UK just ran a multi-part series about GIMP and it wasn't geared towards amateurs designing greeting cards.  I assumed there must be a good bit of demand or they would not dedicate so much space for the topic.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:59:05 PM
Yes, I can see lost productivity and revenue when switching to unfamiliar software, but I'm not sure I buy the part about it not being up to the task.  One of the tech mags I get from the UK just ran a multi-part series about GIMP and it wasn't geared towards amateurs designing greeting cards.  I assumed there must be a good bit of demand or they would not dedicate so much space for the topic.

Dennis

The same with 'Maple'....a superb proggie, but the casual user can be blinded by the power of it....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:59:05 PM

Dennis

Unfortunately since the vast majority out there are using PS it makes no sense for me to take on Gimp. Years ago I did try to get away from Windoze and loaded up a system with Linux. While I did like it I was to used to XP.
What I really love is fighting with sMac users though. I can access why more on the servers than they can. I went into one guys shop and was using an XP box and he never knew what was on his servers. And loading the drivers on a Mac for our equipment is a nightmare. Then I crashed his mac for him while the XP box stayed the course.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BallAquatics

Don't get me started on Mac's.  Actually they are NOT Mac's anymore.  They now use Intel PC processors and have switched their OS to Linux.  LOL

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 03:37:23 PM
Don't get me started on Mac's.  Actually they are NOT Mac's anymore.  They now use Intel PC processors and have switched their OS to Linux.  LOL

Dennis
I know they've used Intel for a while now but IIRC while the OS is similar to Linux it is more likely a distant cousin.

BallAquatics

Technically, the Mac OS is based on a BSD code base.  BSD being Berkly Software Distribution.  BSD is a Unix derivative just as Linux.

Since Apple wasn't going to have "security through obscurity" for much longer they wanted a better OS.  Since they didn't want to re-invent the wheel, they basically took open source software and called it their own.

If you know, Unix, Linux, or BSD, the same commands will work on a 'Mac' with Apple's OS X  LOL

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 05:52:12 PM
Technically, the Mac OS is based on a BSD code base.  BSD being Berkly Software Distribution.  BSD is a Unix derivative just as Linux.

Since Apple wasn't going to have "security through obscurity" for much longer they wanted a better OS.  Since they didn't want to re-invent the wheel, they basically took open source software and called it their own.

If you know, Unix, Linux, or BSD, the same commands will work on a 'Mac' with Apple's OS X  LOL

Dennis
Just as an aside. My cousin worked for Bell at the time and was one of the developers of Unix. Had a long interesting conversation with him a few years ago at my other cousin's (his sister) memorial service.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 10, 2015, 08:08:29 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 05:52:12 PM

Dennis
Just as an aside. My cousin worked for Bell at the time and was one of the developers of Unix. Had a long interesting conversation with him a few years ago at my other cousin's (his sister) memorial service.

I knew a few of the folks at Bell labs....and ATT......I remember some of their work.....even PKzip.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

His last name was very Italian. He was there I think back in the 60s. For a while he was at Cisco.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2015, 08:13:21 AM
I knew a few of the folks at Bell labs....and ATT......I remember some of their work.....even PKzip.... ;D

Not sure that Phil Katz, (the PK in PKZip), ever worked for either of those two companies.  Maybe you're thinking of some other software?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 10, 2015, 12:00:18 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2015, 08:13:21 AM

Not sure that Phil Katz, (the PK in PKZip), ever worked for either of those two companies.  Maybe you're thinking of some other software?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz

Dennis

You're right Dennis...my bad....they worked with compression but not the PKzip that we know...
Jon

BallAquatics

LOL  That was a long time ago. The only reason I remember it, was that PKZip was one of the first "Shareware" programs I purchased.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 10, 2015, 02:45:49 PM
LOL  That was a long time ago. The only reason I remember it, was that PKZip was one of the first "Shareware" programs I purchased.

Dennis

...didn't it come with DOS ?...or at least later versions of it..??
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on July 10, 2015, 03:03:42 PM
...didn't it come with DOS ?...or at least later versions of it..??

Not any version that I had.  The first versions of DOS up to probably version 4.0 didn't even come with an editor.  You got the OS and some command line tools and the GW Basic interpreter.  Around version 4 they threw in a basic editor and some memory management utilities.

Dennis