• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 09:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 574
Total: 574

Back to Debian

Started by BallAquatics, July 08, 2015, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I've been playing around with lots of OS's on my laptop lately, but I switched back to Debian this morning.  Try as I might, I just can't get used to the awkward ways of Ubuntu's Unity desktop.  It's a fun diversion, but for getting anything done it's a pain.

I can remember back in 2010 thinking how close Ubuntu was to being ready for prime time and then with the 11.04 release they switched to Unity and it was met with the same result as Windows 8..... what a stinker.

It's mildly amusing that the unstable, testing version of Debian, is light years more reliable than Microsoft's flagship product....

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Yeah but does the Creative Suite (not the CC version) run on it?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

No idea, it's been years since I've paid for software.  Adobe will like be working to move all their offerings to the cloud.  Then it won't make any difference what OS you use.

I would find it hard to imagine that there's any shortage of fantastic graphics software available for Linux though since most of the movie CGI is done on Linux based boxes.

Dennis

BallAquatics

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 08, 2015, 10:36:13 AM
No idea, it's been years since I've paid for software.  Adobe will like be working to move all their offerings to the cloud.  Then it won't make any difference what OS you use.

I would find it hard to imagine that there's any shortage of fantastic graphics software available for Linux though since most of the movie CGI is done on Linux based boxes.

Dennis

Yeah I don't do the "cloud" at all.

And in my profession there is no other than PS.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Ron Sower

This isn't English you guys are writing in, right?  :-\
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Creative Suite is being phased out.
It'll all be Creative Cloud in the future.
PS is there and can be got cheaper than other programs because so many people use it.

You don't have to store anything on the cloud but you get programs and updates from it.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on July 08, 2015, 08:43:28 PM
Creative Suite is being phased out.
It'll all be Creative Cloud in the future.
PS is there and can be got cheaper than other programs because so many people use it.

You don't have to store anything on the cloud but you get programs and updates from it.
I don't use CC I refuse to pay a monthly fee. CS has already been phase d out. It ended with CS6. I did tbe prepublic beta for CS2-6. Theee wasn't enough advantage between 5 and 6 to justify getting 6.
While I do everything in English going to CC is an expense I'd rather avoid.

BillT

QuoteI don't use CC I refuse to pay a monthly fee.

I used to feel that way, but then I had to get flash for a project so I had to get CC.
However I also got access to a whole bunch of programs (PS, illustrator, InDesign, Primere, After Effects, and Audition; I'm taking some multimedia classes).
For all that, the price is cheap, and the programs interact very well together.

Plus I still have the old programs of the first three, so I can go cloud free if I want.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on July 08, 2015, 10:02:47 PM
QuoteI don't use CC I refuse to pay a monthly fee.

I used to feel that way, but then I had to get flash for a project so I had to get CC.
However I also got access to a whole bunch of programs (PS, illustrator, InDesign, Primere, After Effects, and Audition; I'm taking some multimedia classes).
For all that, the price is cheap, and the programs interact very well together.

Plus I still have the old programs of the first three, so I can go cloud free if I want.
I have the entire suite of 5.5. I only have one or two clients that use CC and they can save it back. I've not seen anything in CC I can't do in CS. Sure it may take a bit less time but not enough to justify the costs. Someone asks me which to get I always tell them CS6 if they can find a legal copy. Once bought you have no recurring fees.

BallAquatics

I recently read that the Adobe software was so over priced it was believed to be the most pirated software in existence, with an estimated 65% of those using it thought to be using a pirated version.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

I can believe that..........
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yes.  Let's see, that's only $240.00 a year compared to using GIMP for $0 a year.  How can I afford to pass up such a great deal   :o

I think we're a bit behind the open source curve here in the US, but we'll catch up.....

Dennis