• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 05:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 552
Total: 552

My Little Old Lady

Started by LizStreithorst, April 08, 2015, 05:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

y'all don't know about the little old lady I adopted...She'd  been a customer for a few years and would always invite me over to drink a beer with her.  She's the one who introduced me to Corona.  Turns out she has no friends at all.  One day, after she decided to quit driving, I told her that I would pick Abby up and deliver her back.  She was reluctant until I told her it would be a social visit with beer when I returned Abby home.  Since then we have been something like friends.  I found out that she was a huge racist while I believe it's all about the content of the character.  She's not a nice person, but she states her mind which is why I liked her in spite of the way she is.  We've had some good conversations. 

She was 81 years old and is now 83.  She fell and broke her hip 2 months ago.  I visited her in the hospital and suddenly she was no longer there.  I called her house and there was no answer.  Then I found out from the lady at the beer store than her son said that she was home and has a care taker.  I called yesterday and she was eating and didn't want to talk to me.  I called today and at first she didn't want to talk to me but then changed her mind.  She sounded like shit.  She was having a hard time breathing which is something she had never had before.

They say that a broken hip is often the last straw with old people.  It appears to be the case here.  I don't know why I care but I care.  It's very sad.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

That's too bad, Liz. Not having many friends over the years sure didn't do her any favors. I believe it a lose of contact while convalescing that does the worst things; more so than the injury itself.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Drinking corona will do that to you. Drink that swill long enough and you get all mean and cranky. Hope it turns out well for her. You know you tried brightening her day Liz.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

I have a plan.  I will visit her (it can't be tomorrow because I have incoming frozen food ::)) but I can do it Friday after work.  I want to take a look at the meds they have her on.  I know from past experience that they often put old people on meds that slow their entire system down.  It makes them more compliant.  I know a bit about medicine and medications from (don't laugh) having a top quality veterinarian as a co-worker and good friend for many years.  We are all mammals, after all...What I don't know, I will look up.  This lady should not be going down hill like she is and my feeling is that's it's due to over medication. 

If I don't like what I see I will talk to her son who lives right by her but who has to travel for work.  He knows nothing.  He trusts the doctors.  It's not the fault of the health care worker.  Her job is to follow the doctor's instructions.  If I decide that over medication is the cause of I will get his cell number and talk to him.   She's his, not mine.  If he ignores me I will go away.

Before this broken hip she rode around on her 4 wheeler and walked her little dog 5 times a day.

Mugwump

Good idea, Liz....those 'cow town pill rollers' really like to pass out the drugs to old folks...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I wish you luck Liz, She has at least one friend. and if you where to only have one friend you would be a good choice. 
Scott

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: b125killer on April 08, 2015, 08:12:21 PM
I wish you luck Liz, She has at least one friend. and if you where to only have one friend you would be a good choice.

I'll second that.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

Y'all wouldn't think so highly of me if you knew what a vindictive bitch I am when someone hurts my feelings.  It's why I choose friends carefully.   I am not all sweetness and light. 

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 08, 2015, 08:47:25 PM
Y'all wouldn't think so highly of me if you knew what a vindictive bitch I am when someone hurts my feelings.  It's why I choose friends carefully.   I am not all sweetness and light.
So, about like the rest of women.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

A bittersweet situation....  What happens with her little dog?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Frequently I get attached to some of the people when they list their houses with me. Last year 2 of them became ill and passed away while I had their homes on the market. I had really gotten to enjoy visiting both of them.  Liz, I hope your Little Old Lady gets over this and can provide you more interesting times together. I really miss y 2 gals.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 08, 2015, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 08, 2015, 09:51:50 PM

Disagree!  >:( Too broad and generalized.

Ron, least we forget..."hell has no wrath. like a woman scorned"...... ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on April 09, 2015, 06:21:14 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on April 08, 2015, 10:55:38 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 08, 2015, 09:51:50 PM

Disagree!  >:( Too broad and generalized.

Ron, least we forget..."hell has no wrath. like a woman scorned"...... ;D

Yeah right. You guys are just to scared to admit what we all know to be the truth. After 34 years to the same woman I am not. Plus my three (3) favorite words in the English language.

I

Don't

Care.

There is a lot of freedom in those three (3) words if you really think about it.

Coach Hayden Fox.