• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 05:39:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 430
Total: 430

Going to buy another vehicle

Started by LizStreithorst, April 14, 2014, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Here she is...
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

That'll do fine.....run it.... ;D....but wash it first...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Body looks good. Run her till she drops
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

EdKaz

QuoteOK.  I'll use Marvel Mystery oil.

STOP!!!!

If "Mystery oil" were intended for the crankcase....we would ALL be filling up our oil pans with the stuff...........Its NOT

Dumping Marvel into an ANY motor is like giving a hemophiliac a handful of asprin....and telling them to go roll around in shards of glass....It WILL thin out any oil you put in the motor.......and BAD things are LIKELY to happen.

Due to its "marvelous" properties and uncanny ability to thin oil it also works at loosening carbon buildup and motor oil sludge.(It makes a good parts cleaner in a pinch) The use of marvel was often done in hopes of freeing up a stuck ring, cleaning up some sludge and the THOUGHT, and often times the result  was, a smoother/better running motor..................FOR A SHORT WHILE.

All that crap "marvel" dissolves and DISLODGES has to end up somewhere.........the oil pan, and OIL PUMP SCREEN.......and than as your headin home on a Fri night crankin the tunes and planning your Saturday morning........the oil light comes on.....you check the oil and it has PLENTY..........but your screen is now PLUGGED up and the oil pump AND MOTOR is starving for ANY oil......let alone the "mystery" oil.....and that $3 can of "mystery" sets you back $2000 for a COMPLETE motor rebuild, or replacement.....AND a tow on a otherwise gorgeous Fri night ride home after work.

If it isnt running like complete CRAP, (caused by a confirmed bad cylinder due to a stuck ring )  DONT ADD ANYTHING......just drive it.

Might want to have your mechanic do a 'leakdown test" to help confirm if an issue exists  in the valve train, piston rings..or simply an error in the compression test (happens more often than most people realize, and most mechanics will admit to)

If its running decently, and Im assuming it is because you bought it............Wash it, shine it up......and drive it (oh... and get that diff seal replaced)

JR

We used it in many a car back in the day never had a problem with it. It does clean a engine very well. nevar seen it thin out the oil. I have not used it in a very long time. I did not know you could still  buy it. Never tried it as a parts cleaner. It is just like anything else some folks love and some hate it. Just like STP I hate it have seen what it will do to a engine. But they sell a heck of a lot of it.

Mugwump

Marvel Mystery oil is still sold here.....great to add to the oil about a day before an oil change....gits er done good.....never had an issue with it myself....???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It runs beautifully.  It doesn't blow any smoke.  Conflicting expert opinions make me crazy.  I'll stick with good old Castorl 20/50 which is what the previous owner used.  It's excellent oil.  Or perhaps I'll switch it to Rotella T that I use in the diesel.  God knows, I don't want do do any harm to the little old lady.

I just bathed her and am taking a break from polishing compound which takes a lot of muscle.  Tomorrow will be wax day.  After that, I'll start on the interior.  Idiot work like that I can do myself.  She has the potential to look good for an old gal.  Nary a dent in her.  I'll call the mechanic Monday and make an appointment to have the seal replaced.

I want to thank all you gentlemen for being so kind to me about this old junker I'm so proud of. 

JR

Liz IMHO you can not by a better oil than Castorl. Use it in everything I have for 35 year.  I would not use Rotella in a gas engine different additives. But I think it is the best Diesel oil made

LizStreithorst

Thanks JR.  Castrol it will be.

EdKaz

I only have 3 and a half decades under my belt as an ASME certified mechanic, and Mercury Marine Master Mechanic Certifications. Ive also rebuilt or replaced HUNDREDS of engines in my day, The majority of which died of oil starvation caused by plugged up oil pump screens.... so I got to be pulling my "opinion" straight outta my ass. ::)

If Grandpa used it it MUST be good. lol

QuoteIt runs beautifully.  It doesn't blow any smoke.

Than DONT try to "fix it" (unless its LIMPING BAD) with marvel or ANY other engine cleaning "mechanic in a can" miracles, or even rotella a high DETERGENT oil..... keep using the SAME TYPE of oil the previous owner did.

QuoteIt does clean a engine very well. nevar seen it thin out the oil.

THINK about that for just ONE SECOND.............how does ANYTHING "clean" an oiled up engine or machine WITHOUT thinning and or breaking down the oil itself?

QuoteI would not use Rotella in a gas engine different additives.

Rotella in a gas motor is fine........if used from the get go.
  Them "additives" are NOT unlike the "magic" properties of Marvels mystery oil, and WILL LIKELY cause issues in high mileage motors.

Im gonna bow out here and let the experts in auto mechanics and chemistry advise you the rest of the way.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on April 26, 2014, 07:17:57 PM
I only have 3 and a half decades under my belt as an ASME certified mechanic, and Mercury Marine Master Mechanic Certifications. Ive also rebuilt or replaced HUNDREDS of engines in my day, The majority of which died of oil starvation caused by plugged up oil pump screens.... so I got to be pulling my "opinion" straight outta my ass. ::)

If Grandpa used it it MUST be good. lol

QuoteIt runs beautifully.  It doesn't blow any smoke.

Than DONT try to "fix it" (unless its LIMPING BAD) with marvel or ANY other engine cleaning "mechanic in a can" miracles, or even rotella a high DETERGENT oil..... keep using the SAME TYPE of oil the previous owner did.

QuoteIt does clean a engine very well. nevar seen it thin out the oil.

THINK about that for just ONE SECOND.............how does ANYTHING "clean" an oiled up engine or machine WITHOUT thinning and or breaking down the oil itself?

QuoteI would not use Rotella in a gas engine different additives.

Rotella in a gas motor is fine........if used from the get go.
  Them "additives" are NOT unlike the "magic" properties of Marvels mystery oil, and WILL LIKELY cause issues in high mileage motors.

Im gonna bow out here and let the experts in auto mechanics and chemistry advise you the rest of the way.

I can see where you're coming from Ed....but some of us have never experienced those issues. Myself, it was in an older car and done before the oil change...helped a lot, car ran good for many years. My G'pa used it too in the same way in his old Buick special....I drove that car for 5 years thru HS and some college...dyna flow rear end went before the motor....I do agree that misused, any product will bite you in the butt......you words of caution are duly noted....the rest of the rhetoric....not so much....LOL....right or wrong...different strokes for yada yada.... ;D....we're all always learning.....no 2 X 4 needed......
Jon

LizStreithorst

Please don't leave me Ed.  I value what you say because I understand it.  I'm not going to try any magic stuff on this engine.

Mugwump

...My oldest son had an S10 that he bought after finishing US Army basic training. He drove it from base to base...Ky, Wash, Texas, Louisiana, etc....he loved that truck....his brothers drove it randomly for another 10 yrs.....then it was sold, still running well too. to a guy around town here somewhere....I still see it with a different owner now and then.....great runner..........( no ED, no Mystery Oil) ;D
Jon

JR

Ed I did not wish to upset you. I am also a ASE Master Tech. With 35 years under my belt. I own a 4 bay shop at this time.

EdKaz

QuoteEd I did not wish to upset you. I am also a ASE Master Tech. With 35 years under my belt. I own a 4 bay shop at this time.

Didnt intend to start a pissing match here.....All Im going to say any further  is check out the MSDS sheet for Marvel Mystery oil......Im pretty sure youll find each can contains a healthy percentage of MINERAL SPIRITS. A PAINT THINNER that ABSOLUTELY dillutes the visicosity and lubricating properties of motor oil, and IS USED in parts washers in MANY Automotive shops.

Pouring what is essentially liquid sandpaper into a crankcase simply defies logic..........even if MY dad, or grandpa used it a time or two. ;)