• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 06, 2024, 07:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 634
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 548
Total: 549

Going to buy another vehicle

Started by LizStreithorst, April 14, 2014, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have decided that I can't afford not to.  I just had my diesel van towed for the 3rd time in 5 years.  This, just a day before I am to pick up my SIL at the airport in Jackson.  Thank God it started running like shit and the engine light came on while I was trying to run to the store Sunday rather that I was enroute to Jackson.  In that case I'd really have been at a loss.  As it is, my neighbors are loaning me a truck of theirs until my van is fixed.  Their truck is pristine and I hate like hell having to ask for such a big favor but I'm up the creek without a paddle.

I know what I want.  I want an old Toyota truck or a reasonable facsimile.  I don't care what it looks like on the outside as long as  it's working guts are in good shape.  My neighbor is going to tell her grandsons who are all into automobile mechanics.  I'll also mention it to all of my regular customers.  Trucks like this are around.  A different neighbor sold his well cared for Ford Ranger that looked good for $2500.  a couple of weeks ago.  I wish I'd known, but if I'd known I may still not have bought it because a couple of weeks ago I was not in this position.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

That's too bad Liz, but then it's likely overdo now....find a good one...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

Toyota makes a good truck. Liz when you find what you like make sure you take it to a mechanic you trust. If who ever you are buying it from won't let you don't buy it. If it is in good shape there is no reason to not let you take it to your mechanic. Just my 2 cents
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

We just picked up a used 99 Chevy Blazer, for a second 'run around' car....good little runner....it's older but not much rust, body's in great shape....they're out there....just have to find/stumble on them..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks for the advice JR.  Will do.

LizStreithorst

I think I've found what I want.  Nobody would be excited about it but me.  It's an '88 Chevy S10. 5 speed standard.  Clutch recently replaced.  Only minor things wrong that I can either live with or have fixed.  No body damage whatsoever.  80,000 gentle miles.  $1500.  I took it for a good spin and it runs like a top.  It will see the mechanic early next week.  If he OK's it I will buy it.  I like the fact that it's not so pristine that I will feel guilty about having dogs in it.  It belongs to a good customer of mine.  What do you all think?

My diesel man, who is reluctant to give advice, doesn't recommend that I sell it and buy something else. He says that it has a 7/3 (I think that's what he called it) engine which is the good one.   He's seen them with a gizillion miles on them still running and mine has few miles for a diesel.  The decision is mine.  I no longer have a need for a vehicle so huge but if I sold it who knows if I would be able so buy a vehicle for the same money that is as good.  If the Chevy thing works out I will drive it mostly and use the monster van once a week just to keep it's juices flowing.

I need some opinions from smart people.  All I know how to do is weigh advice and then fly by the seat of my pants.

LizStreithorst

Nobody here was too excited about this truck.  I got it today.  I am in love with it.  It's exactly what I need and it's exactly like I am, old but good.  I bought it polishing compound, wax, and armoral.  I need stuff to polish it's pretty wheels.  I'll take a "before" pic when it's not night time.  Later I'll take "after"pics.

The mechanic checked it out and told me it needs the seal on the differential replaced.  The oil from the differential will run down into the rear wheels so I should also have my break pads replaced.  I will have that done.  He did a compression check.  He said that he likes the cylinders to be within 15% of perfect.  I don't know what these numbers he mean, but one was 125, one was 120, one was 110, and unfortunately one was only 85.  I figure that I can put in STP to thinken the oil up, and if the truck is good to me, when the time comes I'll have the top end done.

Mugwump

If you like it....that's all that counts ;D....one thing tho.....does it have a good radio??....LOL..first thing that I check.....gotta have the tunes ;D......after market CD/radio rigs are cheap too...or check a bone yard....
Jon

LizStreithorst

lol.  I'm addicted to NPR.  I didn't asked about the radio because although a radio is important to me it was not of consequence in the overall scheme of things.  I checked it after I bought it and no, it does not work.  I'll check out new but I need to go cheap so I may end up going with the bone yard has to offer.  I'll have to pay to have it installed.  I don't know enough to do it myself. 

What about the speakers on my monster van?  Suddenly one went out and a week later the other started sounding bad.  If I buy new ones I might be able to replace them myself depending on how easy it is to take out what needs to be taken out.  I'm smart enough to wire in new speakers.

JR

Sorry Liz did not see your post. What engine does it have in it. The 85 psi is not a good thing. If it has over 100,000 on it I would just leave it a lone and drive it. I have seen many a time if you do a upper half of the engine on a high mileage engine in a few months you blow the lower half. You would have to do a wet compression check on the 85 psi cylinder to see if it is rings or the upper half first before you do anything. There should not be no more than a 20% difference from the highest to the lowest cylinder. Not a big fan of STP all it does is gum up a engine.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: JR on April 25, 2014, 10:19:39 PM
Sorry Liz did not see your post. What engine does it have in it. The 85 psi is not a good thing. If it has over 100,000 on it I would just leave it a lone and drive it. I have seen many a time if you do a upper half of the engine on a high mileage engine in a few months you blow the lower half. You would have to do a wet compression check on the 85 psi cylinder to see if it is rings or the upper half first before you do anything. There should not be no more than a 20% difference from the highest to the lowest cylinder. Not a big fan of STP all it does is gum up a engine.

JR, If only you and your kindness and your knowledge and your tools could be within driving distance:)   The engine is a 2.5 fuel infected.  Transmission is a 5 speed manual.  The hydrolic clutch was recently replaced.  It has 80,300 miles.  I'll mostly be going 24 miles round trip to work 4 times a week.  The 5th day I'll be using by huge diesel van so all it's moving parts can get happy in the motor oil..

I had no clue that there was such a thing as a wet compression test.  I'll question the mechanic about it.  I can understand how a bad top end can hurt the lower.  The poor crank shaft takes the abuse.  Have I got it right?

Once, with guidance I redid the top end of my old Plymouth Belvedere with a slant six.  The old girl was running great when I gave her away 2 years later.  I drove her farther that I that I wanted to make her go many times, but she never failed me.  I want this truck to be just like her.

Mugwump

Jon

JR

The Chevy can never be that Plymouth. They have never made a better engine than the slant six. I drove a dodge van to the junk yard one time with a hole in the block from a rod. When you do the top half of a motor mill the head and the rest of the new parts. You will boost the compression and the rod and main bearing on a high mileage engine can not take it. New parts against old parts. Wet compression test is. You spray some oil down in the cylinder you are checking. If the compression comes up you have bad oil rings. Jon back in the day Marvel Mystery oil was great. Dad loved it.

Mugwump

Quote from: JR on April 26, 2014, 11:53:15 AM
Jon back in the day Marvel Mystery oil was great. Dad loved it.

...still is.... ;D....LOL
Jon

LizStreithorst

OK.  I'll use Marvel Mystery oil.   JR, you explained well why doing the top end alone is not a good idea.  Perhaps I'll just drive in into the ground and if I love it,  buy it a rebuilt engine.  If I don't love it I'll just junk it when it dies.  After having driven around in it after work today I doubt that I'll fall in love.  Heck it only cost $1,500.  I'll get my money's worth in fuel savings alone driving it to town and back compared to my monster diesel van. 

I LOVED my old Plymouth with the slant 6 but I had no idea you could drive one with HITH from a thrown rod.  That is truly amazing.  I wish they still made that engine but I don't think they're terribley fuel efficient, and that's a must these days.  I also loved the Wankel in my RX7.  It had no "sweet spot" in RPM's.  It was smooth at all RPMs, but I hear they were very polluting.  The other vehicle I was fond of was my old beat up Toyota Corolla with a 4 cylinder and 4 speed manual.  It wasn't as well built as the Plymouth but it was built better than this Chevy.  It's the other vehicle that never let me down.