• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 10:05:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33

Cool Insect

Started by LizStreithorst, September 01, 2013, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'd never seen one of these until the other day.   It's a Clear Winged Hummingbird Moth.  Cool little insect.  As the name implies it looks like a cross between a bug and a hummingbird.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

PaulineMi

That's a beautiful picture and a beautiful moth.

I have friends who are entomologists. One of them goes up to the bogs and swamps of the upper penninsula of Michigan for a week every year to locate and photograph moths.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

There are better pics on the internet.  I took over a dozen just to get one clear one.  The little buggers don't stay still!  In real life they look like they have feathers on their bodies.  They are actually scales.  They have a huge long nose that allows them to feed deep within the flower.  I love how the middle part of their wings is so transparent that you can see the flower behind it.

Mugwump

Neato.....good pic, Liz.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Nice, i don't think i have seen one before

LizStreithorst

They say that these moths have a great memory and come back to the same place at the same time every day.  It was all over my Phlox sometime between 2 and 4 pm the other day.  The time is now 2:08.  I will be watching for it.  I hope it hasn't been eaten by a predator.

I find that I have a favorite insect.  Imagine that!  I shall look up what these bugs depend on at various life stages and try to provide it.  I want more.

JR

Neat little guy. Wish I could take pics like that
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 02, 2013, 06:45:52 AM
Did the moth return?

Did he/she bring the family and luggage?.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Didn't see him yesterday :(  Perhaps he'll make an appearance today.

PaulineMi

Interesting that in your picture and in Google Images these moths seem to be particularly attracted to shades of purple flowers.  Just an observation. Also they are part of the sphinx moth family some of which have been clocked flying at 30 mph. 

Ok Jon....that last sentence leaves an opening for a wise crack.    ;D

LizStreithorst

I hadn't noticed that but you're right, Pauline.  This site has great info and pics that put mine to shame.  http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/hthysbe.htm

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 02, 2013, 08:48:28 AM
Interesting that in your picture and in Google Images these moths seem to be particularly attracted to shades of purple flowers.  Just an observation. Also they are part of the sphinx moth family some of which have been clocked flying at 30 mph. 

absolutely no comment.. ;D....
Jon

BillT

Quote from: PaulineMi on Today at 06:48:28 AM

absolutely no comment.. ;D....

I got a comment:

Many pollinating insects are able to see light in the ultra-violet part of the spectrum.
Many flowers have colors that give off UV and purple (near to UV in the spectrum). There has been a lot of study of this with UV pictures of flowers.
The color patterns of flowers are often on targeting patterns, bullseyes or patterns radiating from the center (where the pollen and seed fertilizing bits are).

Some can also see polarized light. Some fish also have various non-human like light receptors.