• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 09:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 52
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 38
Total: 39

Albinos

Started by JC, October 27, 2014, 08:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

My HE's are parent raising their latest spawn and about 35ish are albinos. I lost all the albinos from their first spawn and would really like to save some of these since Ive never raised albinos but not sure how to go about it. I have a specimen container I thought about putting them in with an air stone or buying one of those filter/hatching jars from angelsplus.  Any ideas??

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on October 27, 2014, 08:28:04 PM
My HE's are parent raising their latest spawn and about 35ish are albinos. I lost all the albinos from their first spawn and would really like to save some of these since Ive never raised albinos but not sure how to go about it. I have a specimen container I thought about putting them in with an air stone or buying one of those filter/hatching jars from angelsplus.  Any ideas??

might not hurt to let the parents have a crack at it..??.....you can always siphon them out when they get a bit bigger and more stable....Ma/Pa will keep them up and off of the bottom too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Quote from: Mugwump on October 27, 2014, 08:34:16 PM

might not hurt to let the parents have a crack at it..??.....you can always siphon them out when they get a bit bigger and more stable....Ma/Pa will keep them up and off of the bottom too....

I left them in with the parents last spawn and they died after 2/3days free swimming. I don't think they were eating. Even tried micoworms and banana worms

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on October 27, 2014, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 27, 2014, 08:34:16 PM

I left them in with the parents last spawn and they died after 2/3days free swimming. I don't think they were eating. Even tried micoworms and banana worms

Ah, I see.....the hatching jars might work...you can make one easy yourself....but a hang on tank box would do the same pretty much.....or a floating box??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I used a floating livebearer breeding contraption. ::)  It has slits on the side so the water can circulate through it but the fry can't get out. ;D 

I flooded them with BBS in the beginning so they could find it. It was hard to keep clean and I only had a few survivors. :o They need to get off the bottom before their fins start to grow in. ???

Good Luck 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

JC

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 28, 2014, 03:52:59 PM
I used a floating livebearer breeding contraption. ::)  It has slits on the side so the water can circulate through it but the fry can't get out. ;D 

I flooded them with BBS in the beginning so they could find it. It was hard to keep clean and I only had a few survivors. :o They need to get off the bottom before their fins start to grow in. ???

Good Luck 8)

Thanks for the tip. I put them in a specimen container with an airstone. We'll see what happens

ghonk

San Fran eggs might help too,they are smaller.You have to keep the container very clean,or their ventrals will  be screwed up.
Here's a vid how i did mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODiLEBLvevg