• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 04:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 557
Total: 558

Tall hex tanks...

Started by Mugwump, October 07, 2015, 01:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...anyone have one of these taller tanks?.....I kinda like they way they look, but besides seeming being difficult to do work maintenance on...they would be limited in species population too....a good sized grouping of jumbo neons or cardinals would look nice tho..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

I sold a 65 gallon hex to a guy once and he ended up hating it.  They are a PITA to clean (at least the really big ones are) and like you said they can be limited in the stocking density they will support.  If done right with the right decor and the right fish they can be a great display tank but they wouldn't be my first choice. 

One of the coolest hex tanks I ever saw was a 20 gallon saltwater tank.  It was filled with live rock from top to bottom on three panels and it looked kind of like a little grotto and a huge arrow crab had taken up residence almost smack dab in the center.  Lots of macroalgae and tube worms (which can be a problem with arrow crabs) plus a few other inverts and soft corals, it just looked so cool with that crab sitting there like the king of the tank.

Now if you were to knock out a panel, put a hinged piece of glass on it and use it for an arboreal tank for some geckos or a nice green tree python I'd say you have yourself a center piece but for fish, I'll pass.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Thanx, Steve..

We really hadn't planned on getting one, but saw an ad somewhere and thought Hmmmm.....but it only looked to be about 30gal??????

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I've always thought that hex tanks would look good with a bunch of tall plants. Maybe a single fish in there. Something kind of small, possibly a betta if it's a small  tank. Maybe a bigger gourami if it is a bigger tank.

sschind

They can be beautiful display tanks if you know what you want to do with them and can stop there.  A 30 wouldn't be too bad for cleaning.  They make terrible community tanks though IMO
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

ghonk

I don't like them,each side is to narrow for good viewing,and if you look through two panels it's distorted.
The smaller ones really suck.
I don't   care for bowfronts either, just don't the get it.