• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 06:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 776
Total: 776

Stupid questions from an ignorant woman

Started by LizStreithorst, June 17, 2016, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My new flip top phone, just 6 months old is sick.  It sends and receives calls.  All the buttons work if I know what buttons to press from memory.  The problem is that the display doesn't work.  The upper 3/4 is a dark grey and the lower 1/4 is light grey.  Just two colors. No writing!  I've been dealing with this all week knowing that I will have to do something soon.

I decided to get a smart phone.  I am at a loss...My first smart phone came from C-Spire and was "free".  Free my ass...my monthly bill was like $90.  It was pay as you go forever. 

All I need in a phone is to make and get calls, reply to my customers when they text me (texting on a flip top is a huge pain), and use the wonderful GPS.  God made GPS just for people like me who get lost going around the block.  I want a small enough phone that I can stick it in my back pocket.   Does anyone have any suggestions?   I thought that I'd go to Best Buy to buy but I''d like to go in feeling a good bit smarter than I feel now.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jan and I, have the Samsung S5....not the latest and greatest, but more than adequate....takes great pics too.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

nix70c

Samsungs are nice phones. Stick with the Galaxy S though. I gave up mine to get a Note 5 - big mistake. I thought that little stylus would be so cool to write notes and whatnot, who doesn't want a bigger screen? It barely fits in my pocket, gets at best 12 hours battery life and you can't even get a new battery, it's not changeable. Oh and did I mention we have 3 of them in the family? UGH...

Mugwump

Quote from: nix70c on June 17, 2016, 05:32:54 PM
Samsungs are nice phones. Stick with the Galaxy S though. I gave up mine to get a Note 5 - big mistake. I thought that little stylus would be so cool to write notes and whatnot, who doesn't want a bigger screen? It barely fits in my pocket, gets at best 12 hours battery life and you can't even get a new battery, it's not changeable. Oh and did I mention we have 3 of them in the family? UGH...

LOL....Scott got the 'curve' or whatever.....not sure he's pleased tho.... huh....the S5 and S4's even..are great phones...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I guess I'll just go to Best Buy and tell them what I want.   I'm sure that a Galaxy 4 will work fine for me my last one was a Galaxy 5 but I paid through the nose for it every month.  God knows I don't want much...just a phone with texting that isn't a PITA and the wonderful  GPS what was invented because God knew that I can't read a map and get lost at every opportunity.

wsantia1

I have a Galaxy S5 too. They should be cheap now that the S7 is out. I use WAZE as my GPS.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 17, 2016, 05:59:19 PM
I guess I'll just go to Best Buy and tell them what I want.   I'm sure that a Galaxy 4 will work fine for me my last one was a Galaxy 5 but I paid through the nose for it every month.  God knows I don't want much...just a phone with texting that isn't a PITA and the wonderful  GPS what was invented because God knew that I can't read a map and get lost at every opportunity.

..good idea....
Jon

wsantia1

I have a Galaxy S5 too. They should be cheap now that the S7 is out. I use WAZE as my GPS. It's a free GPS app that along with directing you to your destination, redirects you in the event of traffic delays and alerts you when the police are around. I use it all the time.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I have no choice.  I will have to go to Hattiesburg Monday to buy a phone.  I hate having to do this but I must.  NADA is coming up very soon and I need to get used to the damn new phone and feel comfortable with it's GPS.  Normal people have no idea how hard it is to be unable to find their way around the block without GPS.  I've driven far before but I always had a friend with me who knew how to read a map.  I am pitiful when it comes to finding my way.  I can do it in the woods but not on streets.

BallAquatics

Good luck with the new phone and be sure to let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

AT&T keeps sending me texts saying I must update my phone as it's not going to work after December.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 25, 2016, 04:20:44 PMI am pitiful when it comes to finding my way.  I can do it in the woods but not on streets.

I know what you mean  :-[...in the woods the trees usually have moss and algae growing on the northerly side of them!  |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm not smart about enough to do it by the moss.  In the woods I find my way by intuition.  My intuition doesn't work on streets.  I've always been like this but I have always managed to muddle through.

LizStreithorst

I got the damn phone.   I got the Galaxy Grand Prime.  The lady said that it would have everything I want and be cheaper monthly than the S 4.  It was only $150. which wasn't too bad.  The lady recommended I get 3 gigs of data so knowing nothing, that's what I got.  I did have to buy it from C-Spire.  Best buy only sells phones that work with ATT and Verizon.  Verizon is always having problems and AT&T's signal where I live is so weak that you can't make a call.

Now I have to remember how to use the GPS.  Having it won't be any help to me if I can't turn it on and off and make it talk to me.

LizStreithorst

I just found out that I don't know how to answer a call ::)  On my S5 I just swiped the screen.  That doesn't work on this one. 

LizStreithorst

I figured out how to answer a call from someone in my address book.  I think that there's another way to do it if someone calls who is not in my address book, but maybe not.  If anyone out there has my number please call me so I can see if I can do it.  Not Barb.  She is in my contacts.  Anyone else here who has my number will work.