• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 12:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 370
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 370
Total: 370

The Forum

Started by Mugwump, January 05, 2013, 05:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Where would you suggest, Liz??....top of the 'forum' on the right?..as well as the front page??..or the bottom under 'users online' somewhere??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Put it where regular members go first.  I always go to "show unred posts".  I don't know where other people go first.  It shouldn't be intrusive, but it should draw you attention.  Al on Simply has it in green.  I always notice it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 06, 2013, 02:29:05 PM
Put it where regular members go first.  I always go to "show unred posts".  I don't know where other people go first.  It shouldn't be intrusive, but it should draw you attention.  Al on Simply has it in green.  I always notice it.

HMMMmm..my thought was to keep it unobtrusive...I know it's kind of buried on the front page, but it was never intended to be for members, per se...it was basicly for the forum sponsors. The idea is to have enough sponsorship to support the host/domain fees, that's all. Neither myself,or Dennis, have had any ideas about making anything. We agreed that extra funds would go for a forum contest, or something...but I guess placing a more visible 'button' wouldn't hurt. I'll get Dennis's thoughts on it, and we'll add one somewhere.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Well there ya go....I never noticed a "donate" button.  I just looked for it after Liz's post and found it. I'll put it to use now. :)

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 06, 2013, 03:50:39 PM
Well there ya go....I never noticed a "donate" button.  I just looked for it after Liz's post and found it. I'll put it to use now. :)

Thank you..it is kinda squirreled away down there isn't it.... ;D We'll add another somewhere more prominent.....
Jon

Mir

Quote from: Mugwump on January 06, 2013, 06:25:22 AM
Quote from: BallAquatics on January 06, 2013, 03:20:46 AM
Quote from: b125killer on January 05, 2013, 09:09:51 PM
The super bowls is a fine goal indeed. only 3.5 million for 30 seconds.

Actually we're looking to generate a bit more income to cover the bills, not spend money on advertising.  LOL

Dennis

Yep, and just when I had dreams of the 'Mugworld' blimp you bring me back reality.....
lol yes! That's awesome.

Thanks to you guys again for making this the fun place it it! It's not only the other members.... >D
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'

Frank The Plumber

Go to www.jalopyjournal.com , a hot rod site, and look at how he makes his money.

He uses a reversed sponsorship platform. All of his members get a discount of between 5 and 15% on product that his sponsor members sell. His sponsors only pay an advertising cost on the actual sales. This rate is very inexpensive on the margin of actual sales as opposed to paying for traditional advertising. His sponsors do well in this situation. Hi members pay an annual membership fee and get a code to apply at the time of purchase. In this guys case your membership fee is $50 to become an "Alliance member". He averages about 15% participation in this program, he has 150,000 or so members. While he is using a bit of bandwidth, he seems to be doing quite well for himself. He must have 15 cars, a nice new office and a comfy home. He has like 6 other sites as well. Go look at his sponsor list. It is huge. He givers a nifty little $2 badge for your participation too. Oh...and a sticker.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 06, 2013, 08:37:14 PM
Go to www.jalopyjournal.com , a hot rod site, and look at how he makes his money.

He uses a reversed sponsorship platform. All of his members get a discount of between 5 and 15% on product that his sponsor members sell. His sponsors only pay an advertising cost on the actual sales. This rate is very inexpensive on the margin of actual sales as opposed to paying for traditional advertising. His sponsors do well in this situation. Hi members pay an annual membership fee and get a code to apply at the time of purchase. In this guys case your membership fee is $50 to become an "Alliance member". He averages about 15% participation in this program, he has 150,000 or so members. While he is using a bit of bandwidth, he seems to be doing quite well for himself. He must have 15 cars, a nice new office and a comfy home. He has like 6 other sites as well. Go look at his sponsor list. It is huge. He givers a nifty little $2 badge for your participation too. Oh...and a sticker.

LOL..too rich for my blood.....it's peaceful here, and most of our sponsors offer a discount to members anyway......good for him tho....LOL....we'd rather it be a friendly forum than a cut throat business....
Jon

b125killer

I never noticed a donate button either. Had to go look for it too after it was mentioned. It's good to know that the donations will go to the forum or a super bowl commercial. i'm good with either.
Scott

Ron Sower

I'm still catching up on forum threads.....

A whole year...~  Great news!  I'm glad Aron and Lori had your link on their site and I found you! I really am glad you two guys got this thing going.  Thanks!
Ron
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

EvanJ

Thank you guys it nice to have a freindly forum around. Its forums like this that keep the hobby enjoyable.

P4Angels2

It is a great forum to be a part of a lot of humor mixed with seriousness if the need arises!!!

sschind

Quote from: Mir on January 05, 2013, 07:04:55 PM
YAY!!!!! :)

lol, that would be so awesome if we did have a super bowl commercial. >D

Mugwumps fish world will have a Super Bowl commercial the day the Bears make it back.  In other words NEVER.  Sorry to be the one to break it to you Jon (not really) I don't know which is more heartbreaking?  The fact that your website will never have a SB commercial or the fact that your team will never make it back.  Oh well, at least you have the Hawks.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on February 26, 2013, 07:24:00 PM
Quote from: Mir on January 05, 2013, 07:04:55 PM
YAY!!!!! :)

lol, that would be so awesome if we did have a super bowl commercial. >D

Mugwumps fish world will have a Super Bowl commercial the day the Bears make it back.  In other words NEVER.  Sorry to be the one to break it to you Jon (not really) I don't know which is more heartbreaking?  The fact that your website will never have a SB commercial or the fact that your team will never make it back.  Oh well, at least you have the Hawks.

Ah Steve, but I console myself by remembering that at least I'm not a 'Packer' fan...sheesh..bunch of bums....Bears 'big and strong'.....our time is coming... ;D
Jon

Frank The Plumber

It must be rough to cheer for .........?..........during the hockey season.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?