• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 11:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,338
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

tank kit

Started by BillT, April 01, 2014, 12:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Do keep us updated if/when you get one of these semi DIY tanks. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

QuoteI might just have to order one of the 70 G rimless tank kits though, if the shipping charge isn't too bad.  That's a great price for a 70 gallon tank!  Signed up to be notified when they are back in stock.....

Starting with the nicely cut pieces fo glass should be a real advantage.
It would also be easier to drill a single piece of glass than an assembled tank (at least for me).

I wonder of the bottom piece is a different kind of glass.

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on April 02, 2014, 10:51:00 AM
I wonder of the bottom piece is a different kind of glass.

I was wondering too.  If it's not tempered, I'd be tempted to cut down the sides, get another bottom piece and have two 35 gallon tanks.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI was wondering too.  If it's not tempered, I'd be tempted to cut down the sides, get another bottom piece and have two 35 gallon tanks.

Clever idea Dennis.

BallAquatics

How did the Danio talk go Bill?

Dennis

BillT

I know a bunch of fish geeks in Portland.
They seemed to like it.
Not sure that it wasn't too geeky for the rest, but they didn't complain.
Several people were out of town or not there for some reason, including Antony Perry and Steve Lundblad.

Went to the Wet Spot before and got some fish:
Got some Devario ???: the "Burmese Blood Red Giant Danio", out of curiousity.
Also was given a fish that was caught by accident and not immediately identifiable. I think it is a Barilius shacra. Not sure. Could be a juvenile and not fully colored up.

Also got their lone Devario auropurpura, some Danio "hikari".

I want to take pictures of all of them and breed the "red" guys (expensive) and the hikari.

My first impression is that the "Burmese Blood Red Giant Danio" are the size of a large Giant Danio, but do not have the longitudinal yellow stripes. They have a thick dark blue longitudinal (head to tail) line underneath other marks. Their yellow markings are more like Devario devario (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/devario-devario/ or http://www.danios.info/fish/devario.aspx) or Devario chrysotaeniatus (http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/devario-chrysotaeniatus/ or http://www.danios.info/fish/chrysotaeniatus.aspx). Not so much lines going front to back but more shorter broken up lines going up and down. They do have red darker ventrally. I guess they look more like the Devario devario but with some of the red in the chrysotaeniatus, but right now mostly at the tail end.

That should all be taken with a grain of salt since I have not really had a lot of time to look at them carefully. Also I think some of the more intense colors can go away when they are scared from being moved or whatever. Or maybe they are not yet mature. I got to take pictures of this so I can get a better look at they. Right now they are in a tank that is not good for taking pictures out of and these fish are kind of big for the box I usually put fish into for shooting photos.
The guy at the University I sell fish to wants to know about their barbels. Can't tell till I take pictures.

BallAquatics

Cool, good to hear it went over well.  I think most people still think Zebra when they hear Danio.  So many others in all colors and sizes.

I was under the impression that Steve was partial to West African cichlids.....

Dennis

PaulineMi

Are either of you familiar with Danionella translucida?  There's an article about them in the current issue of Amazonas.  They have transparent bodies are full grown at 2 cm (0.8 inch).  I think they are also called "glass danios".
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 03, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
Are either of you familiar with Danionella translucida?  There's an article about them in the current issue of Amazonas.  They have transparent bodies are full grown at 2 cm (0.8 inch).  I think they are also called "glass danios".

Current issue of Amazona's...?? what month'?....I don't seem to have received mine yet......???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

May/June issue.  It arrived yesterday.  It has several very nice photos of plecos...seven pages with an article about them.

Amazonas is such a nice publication.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 03, 2014, 08:11:04 PM
May/June issue.  It arrived yesterday.  It has several very nice photos of plecos...seven pages with an article about them.

Amazonas is such a nice publication.

Hmmmmmm.....thanks for the reply....I'll get in touch with them...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 03, 2014, 07:05:30 PM

I think Bill's got a photo of one in the header of his website, http://www.eugeneresearchaquatics.com/

I read a nice article about Danionella dracula by Rafe Blitz a while back, but I'm not familiar with the D. translucida.  I knew I should have stopped at the Post Office today.....

Dennis

BillT

Danionella translucida was the world's smallest freshwater fish for a while till Paedocypris progenetica was discovered.
There are several other Danionella species, dracula, priapus, mirifica. They are longer. They all are quite transparent.

Ted Judy had an article on them several years ago in TFH.

BillT

Here's a Danionella mirifica I think:

and here is a picture of one of my new Devario's, the Burmese Blood Red Danio:

How red it looks depends on the lighting.