• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 12:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 613
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

bought a new thermometer

Started by LizStreithorst, July 22, 2016, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I love inferred thermometers.  I drooled over the one that Jon's son gave him but I bought one at Lowes because I could afford it.  It cost less than $50.   According to what it told me I should unplug all my heaters so I did.  I have never ever ever been able to unplug the heaters in my Discus tanks but when I checked the temp the cheap one it kept telling me that the temp was 82 to 83.  I got a feeling that it was lying to me because my Discus quit spawning.  This is not natural.

I asked on Simply for a good inferred thermometer and asked that anyone who replied know their shit.  (I said it more politely)  A guy who knows his shit told me to get this one:  http://carefordescientific.com/vwr-infrared-thermometers-29960-030-thermometer-with-laser-sighting-max-min-memory-backlight-and-high-low-alarm-55-to-250-c-2-of-reading-or-2-c-whichever-is-greater-60-x-104mm-ea/  It hurt my pocket book but it was worth it.  It tells me that the temp in my Discus tanks was actually 78 and 79  on the hottest day of the year.  God only knows how low it was when it was cooler and during the night.  I'm lucky that my Discus aren't sick.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

They are one of the handiest tools in our fish room.... |^|...and the fish really like em too....they'll go after it like a cat with a laser pointer would... 8)

I can sit in my comfy fish watching chair and take readings from just about all the tanks too.... |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson