• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 07:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 326
Total: 327

Petco and DrsFosterSmith

Started by GraphicGr8s, November 19, 2014, 10:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

Quote from: Mugwump on November 21, 2014, 01:48:21 PM
Quote from: Bushkill on November 21, 2014, 11:40:45 AM
Quote from: JC on November 20, 2014, 08:58:20 PM
I buy from foster and smith all the time and recently from jehmco who I'm very impressed with their prices, selection, and service. I also spend quite a bit at my favorite local pet shop Roe's to help support the mom and pop shop

"spreading the wealth" is critical for this hobby's long term survival.

You betcha !...and spreading good stock too....

I do that too. I like to sell to my local fish store so others can have great stock in my area

GraphicGr8s

And it seems Petco will also acquire PetSmart.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 16, 2014, 10:57:50 AM

I read it was a 'merger', not a buyout.....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

But then I see this....

Why a Merger of Pet Retailers Would Make Sense
By Kevin Allison   

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/why-a-merger-of-pet-retailers-would-make-sense/?_r=0

"""PetSmart?s activist shareholders are barking up the right tree. Jana Partners and Longview Asset Management, which together own about a one-fifth stake, are demanding that the  purveyor of dog food and toys sell itself. There are other options to enhance shareholder returns, but a deal with Petco, the smaller rival controlled by TPG and Leonard Green, could be the pick of the litter.

Like so many other specialty retailers, PetSmart is being chased by Wal-Mart and Amazon. Sales growth at PetSmart stores open for more than a year has declined by half in 18 months. As a result, its shares have tumbled, too. A 20 percent fall since last October opened the gate for Barry Rosenstein?s Jana.

In response, PetSmart said on Monday that it had been reviewing its capital structure. The language used gives off a whiff of borrowing money to pay for a bigger buyback. It?s good as far it goes, but such repurchases often have a way of coming back to bite.

On the other hand, retail combinations can produce savings of up to 10 percent of a target?s sales. Assume 4 percent conservatively in this case, and Breakingviews calculations suggest available synergies worth about $1.8 billion today. That would leave room for a 25 percent premium to $6.8 billion PetSmart, whose shares have already bounced by about 15 percent in the days since the activists started growling.

PetSmart?s nearly debt-free balance sheet also can withstand some borrowing. The company is expected by analysts to generate $930 million of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization this year. Ignore whatever leverage the privately owned Petco carries. Even after adjusting for PetSmart?s rent expenses, it probably could issue at least $4 billion in bonds.

What?s more, Longview suggested that it might be willing to act as an equity partner in a buyout of sorts. Though similar combinations such as Office Depot and OfficeMax elicit attention from antitrust regulators, the broad and fierce competition generally keeps them at bay. It may take a little coaxing, but Petco should eventually sit up and shake."""
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on December 16, 2014, 11:05:40 AM

Semantics. So if Kmart bought Sears why is the corporate name Sears?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on December 16, 2014, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 16, 2014, 11:05:40 AM

Semantics. So if Kmart bought Sears why is the corporate name Sears?

Semantics, maybe?...legal mumble jumble, more likely tho......there's something in it somebody tho....did you read the above??...
Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Jon