• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 647
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 621
Total: 622

I Won't be buying Discus at NADA

Started by LizStreithorst, July 02, 2016, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'll be buying before NADA.  Ryan, the guy that I got the Discus from got another shipment in.  What I want is not what's "hot" so I doubted that I'd find it at NADA, anyway.  Ryan's tastes are the same as mine.  The pics of the fish he brought in made drool on my shoes and pee my pants.

I want two, a Female Blue Scorpion and a female RSG.  The Blue Scorpion is priced on the less expensive side.  I picked one out.  It was easy.  The fish was spawning, her shape is excellent and the pattern is exactly what I want.  The RSG is giving us a hard time.  I called him at work asking for more pics...I wanted to be as sure as I could that I wasn't buying male .  He was lovely on the phone.  I said, "OK that's all I wanted"  He mentioned that he was at work.  I told him that I could tell because there was stress in his voice.  After a hard day at work he was changing water in the wee hours.  He sent more pics and a video at 2:30 am after he did WC. 

He said that he thinks that the fish I like is a female, too but is hoping that she will drop her tube so we will know for sure.  He said that the same three were doing sexual fighting this afternoon as were in the video.  Ryan will be making a good profit on this fish, but not an outrageous profit.  She's priced at $350.  Trust me.  She's worth it.  She's 7" standard length with perfect shape and the pattern that I want!

I took a chance and told him that is someone else tried to put his name on that fish to tell him it was sold.  I would never take a chance on saying to someone I wasn't sure I could trust.

He will be sending fish to NADA although he won't be there himself.  I bet I'll be able to pick out his fish.  I know his exporter's style. 

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ilroost

LizStreithorst

Red Spotted Green.  It's the strain I won in Ryan's auction to support Simply.  I was afraid that they were all male but I bid anyway because I'd been wanting some for years and nobody brings them in.  I even tried special ordering them.  After I won the auction I asked Ryan if in his opinion they were all males.  He said that he thought there was a female in there but couldn't be sure.  He was right.  Bit I still have two nice males in need of lady friends.

It should be a good cross with a spotted blue scorpion to introduce the SS gene without loosing the spotting.  So I was on the hunt for one of those, too.

LizStreithorst

A disappointment.  Ryan just emailed me.  The dear man has been holding the fish since July 2nd trying to confirm the RSG we thought to be female was female.  Now that he has more tank space available he moved the RSGs into 2 separate each with 2 confirmed females of  a different strain.  All 4 RSGs appeared to have paired with the confirmed females.  I'll still buy.

I think I need to do a WC.  I always feel better after a WC.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 31, 2016, 04:42:13 PM
A disappointment.  Ryan just emailed me.  The dear man has been holding the fish since July 2nd trying to confirm the RSG we thought to be female was female.  Now that he has more tank space available he moved the RSGs into 2 separate each with 2 confirmed females of  a different strain.  All 4 RSGs appeared to have paired with the confirmed females.  I'll still buy.

I think I need to do a WC.  I always feel better after a WC.

Things will work out, they most always do.....haven't you got a good pairing for the males...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I have one  pair of RSG's and they refuse to spawn.  I can't figure out why.  I do everything right.  The other two auction fish are males.  My other Discus are PB and are not compatible.

It will work out.  I will still buy the most nearly perfect of the most nearly perfect RSGsh Ryan got in. Hr still has all four of them because only an obsessed crazy person would pay so much for a stupid fish.  I also reserved a very good confirmed Spotted Blue Scorpion.  It was reasonably priced.  I'll take another if he still has one, but I doubt it.

LizStreithorst

Incoming Discus!  I'm only getting one male RSG and a female spotted Blue Scorpion.  Unless my existing RSG gets the desire the Blue Scorpion will be very busy satisfying the fellas.  I sure hope that she's a loose woman :P

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 05, 2016, 04:06:25 PM
Incoming Discus!  I'm only getting one male RSG and a female spotted Blue Scorpion.  Unless my existing RSG gets the desire the Blue Scorpion will be very busy satisfying the fellas.  I sure hope that she's a loose woman :P

...we expect some nice pics when they arrive.... 8)
Jon

LizStreithorst

In coming tomorrow morning by 10:30.  I only took two easy dogs so I could run the fish home.  I hope to have them tanked by between 11 and 11:30.

BallAquatics

Mugwump

....wonderful..........best of luck with them, Liz..... |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

I'm hoping you do well with them, Liz. You certainly put in the time with them. |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron