• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 03:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 647
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Guess What?

Started by LizStreithorst, February 21, 2016, 07:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'll be setting up their QT tank today.  The 30 gallon tank I'll be using has been sitting upside down out side.  The water storage container has been sitting outside right side up.  Both have been cleaned and are sitting out side filled with Clorox water.  They'll soak all day until I dump the water out, wipe them out and rinse.  In the mean time I have no choice but to clean house.  Finally, I'll bring them inside and set the tank on the kitchen counter, bring the water storage container and fill them with water.  I have a pump that I have not used forever that I will use to pump incoming water.  The hose I'll use has already been Cloroxed.  I'll use the same hose I use for filling to drain by gravity out the kitchen door.  I'll be using a brand new sponge.  Airline tubing has never been used.  I will keep these fish clean!  I don't have to worry about water params because the tank is 30 gallons and the WC holds 30 gallons.  I can do flopping on the bottom WC.  I've done it before.  Discus love it.

The one thing I just realized I don't have is a 150 watt heater for the water storage container.  Dang >:( >:( >:(  That means a 50 mile round trip to Hattiesburg tomorrow.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 06, 2016, 12:01:52 PM
I'll be setting up their QT tank today.  The 30 gallon tank I'll be using has been sitting upside down out side.  The water storage container has been sitting outside right side up.  Both have been cleaned and are sitting out side filled with Clorox water.  They'll soak all day until I dump the water out, wipe them out and rinse.  In the mean time I have no choice but to clean house.  Finally, I'll bring them inside and set the tank on the kitchen counter, bring the water storage container and fill them with water.  I have a pump that I have not used forever that I will use to pump incoming water.  The hose I'll use has already been Cloroxed.  I'll use the same hose I use for filling to drain by gravity out the kitchen door.  I'll be using a brand new sponge.  Airline tubing has never been used.  I will keep these fish clean!  I don't have to worry about water params because the tank is 30 gallons and the WC holds 30 gallons.  I can do flopping on the bottom WC.  I've done it before.  Discus love it.

The one thing I just realized I don't have is a 150 watt heater for the water storage container.  Dang >:( >:( >:(  That means a 50 mile round trip to Hattiesburg tomorrow.

...sounds as if you have the bases covered.... |^|....do you have a new aquarium heater too..?....how are you going to cycle the tank?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I will cholox a spare 150 watt for their tank.  Ryan has a new in the box 250 watt Aqueon Pro that he will put in the fish box for me.  It'll save me a 50 mile drive to have to buy one in town.  I'm waiting for him to tell me how much so I can paypal him.  The 250 watt will be fine in the water storage container since I have my trusty infrared thermometer always at hand.  This guy Ryan is a sweetheart.  Who would send a heater with the fish if asked?  If disaster doesn't befall me I'll show the best of these fish at NADA.  Most fish are sent to the importers specifically for the show.  That won't be the case for the fish I enter.  Rayn and Ricky have to be represented at the show and Ryan told me that he wouldn't be able to be there :'(

I'm not worried about cycling the tank although I know there are good products that do it instantly out there these days.  I will do it the way I did when I started in fish.  I will change a ton of water until the sponge gets cycled.  With a 250 watt heater in the water storage container I'll be able to do 2 flopping on the bottom WS per day if the fish tell me they want it.  It won't be work because they will be my pride and joy.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 06, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
I will cholox a spare 150 watt for their tank.  Ryan has a new in the box 250 watt Aqueon Pro that he will put in the fish box for me.  It'll save me a 50 mile drive to have to buy one in town.  I'm waiting for him to tell me how much so I can paypal him.  The 250 watt will be fine in the water storage container since I have my trusty infrared thermometer always at hand.  This guy Ryan is a sweetheart.  Who would send a heater with the fish if asked?  If disaster doesn't befall me I'll show the best of these fish at NADA.  Most fish are sent to the importers specifically for the show.  That won't be the case for the fish I enter.  Rayn and Ricky have to be represented at the show and Ryan told me that he wouldn't be able to be there :'(

I'm not worried about cycling the tank although I know there are good products that do it instantly out there these days.  I will do it the way I did when I started in fish.  I will change a ton of water until the sponge gets cycled.  With a 250 watt heater in the water storage container I'll be able to do 2 flopping on the bottom WS per day if the fish tell me they want it.  It won't be work because they will be my pride and joy.

I'd suggest using a seeded filter, and do it overnight...but you don't want any possibility of cross contamination....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Exactly.  Cross cross contamination will happen eventually, but not until I'm good and ready.  I know how I will manage that,too.

LizStreithorst

I soaked the tank in the chlorox solution.  It's set up and ready to go.  I had to remove the trim on the top of the tank to make it fit.  It fits now, by the skin of it's teeth. 

Ryan called this morning.  He's been sick.  We did email yesterday because he'd lost his voice.  He needs a day to do nothing so he can recover.  He'll ship Tuesday for Wed.

LizStreithorst

Incoming tomorrow.  I can't express how excited to get these beautiful fish.

Barb

I can hardly wait to see pics of them.  You deserve these fish Liz and I am glad you are getting them.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Ryan posted great pics of them.  I don't think I can do better, especially in their 30 gallon QT tank.  Pat said that she's seen them in person and the pics didn't to them justice.  I find that hard to believe.    To me they looked like show fish.

I will post my honest opinion of them after they arrive and have a while to settle in.  I am a hard critic when it come to my own Discus.  I won't let my great excitement cloud my good eye.

My greatest hope is that I can take the best fish and find a most excellent mate for it and see what I get.  Ryan put a bug in my ear about crossing to a Blue Scorpion if there is not a female among the group.  Ryan was very honest.  He said that in Asia Discus are sold by phenotype rather than geneotype.  If I don't have a female I will breed to to a breed to a Blue Scorpion.  I also want to find a really exceptional one to tank to NADA. 

I know to the normal world I would be considered to be obsessed.  I don't care what the normal world thinks.

Mugwump

...settled in enough for pics yet?...... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Let me wait another day or two.  They look fine but didn't start eating until this morning.  I've read that with big fish that sometimes happens but it has never happened to me.  I bumped up the temp from 82 to 84 last night and it did the trick.  They didn't bite my fingers like Ryan said they did with him, but they ate |^|

LizStreithorst

They are finally getting accustomed to their new surroundings.  They are eating well and acting like breeding age Discus should act.  There is a lot of tail slapping and mouth aggression going on in this 30 gallon tank.

Mugwump

...WOW !!......those are nice.. |^| w!w |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

While I was watching them just now I saw these two shimming to one another. 2 males do not shake and shimmy to each other.  Ryan said he thought there might be a female among the 4, but with Discus even the experts can be fooled.  He was careful not to disappoint me.

I'm not a great photographer.  I will not post perfect pics of the fish like Ryan did. 

These are the two best fish in the tank and they appear to be attracted to one another.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on March 13, 2016, 12:34:33 PM
...WOW !!......those are nice.. |^| w!w |^|

I posted my greatest hope last.  Are they not beautiful Discus?  I can point out faults but they are minor. 

I have seen pics of Discus pairs that have produced show quality offspring that themselves looked like crap.  Al posted about his pair from long ago about his experience doing it.  It blew me away.  I've been told but have not seen that the pairs in Asia look like crap.  Amazing....Still, I prefer to start with quality I can see.