• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 07:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 592
Total: 592

Stud muffin and the Widow blue...

Started by Mugwump, March 15, 2015, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

The Widow blue is an albino blue eyed..despite not being a true albino, she is the orangish/white color...BN's that are this creamy/whitish/orangish colors are called 'albinos' in a phenotype way....'what you see'.......
   Stud muffin is also a very whitish color but is a true albino.....
   By the fry in the cave being darker, we now know that the Widow blue carries no albino gene...if she did, half of the fry would be albino.
  The other question needing to be answered is does Stud Muffin carry a blue eyed gene, It's not likely, but if he does....half these darker fry will be blue eyed....stay tuned for his release...and our answer.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 15, 2015, 01:10:26 PM
   The Widow blue is an albino blue eyed..despite not being a true albino, she is the orangish/white color...BN's that are this creamy/whitish/orangish colors are called 'albinos' in a phenotype way....'what you see'.......
   By the fry in the cave being darker, we now know that the Widow blue carries no albino gene...if she did, half of the fry would be albino.
  The other question needing to be answered is does Stud Muffin carry a blue eyed gene, It's not likely, but if he does....half these darker fry will be blue eyed....stay tuned for his release...and our answer.... ;D

Waiting for the outcome. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 17, 2015, 07:48:00 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 15, 2015, 01:10:26 PM

Waiting for the outcome. ;D

Me too.....they're almost out.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Well, he's finally releasing them now......they're all over the place, haven't been able to get a real good look at them yet, as they're very skittish...
Jon

wsantia1

That's great news. Congrats. Any Albino or L144 types? ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 19, 2015, 03:29:28 PM

Doesn't seem to be an albino/lighter colored fry in the batch....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Playing with the next generation should yeild results.  I'm tempted, but I have so many snots already. I found out the hard way that it's not good to put them with Angels until they get big.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 19, 2015, 04:32:16 PM
Playing with the next generation should yeild results.  I'm tempted, but I have so many snots already. I found out the hard way that it's not good to put them with Angels until they get big.

Nope, I pull the caves, but when released I try to put them with very young angel fry.....larger angels will pick em off if they're too small.....especially if there aren't many hiding places...
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 19, 2015, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on March 19, 2015, 03:29:28 PM

Doesn't seem to be an albino/lighter colored fry in the batch....

Will they be het for Albino or Blue eyed or will they be het for both? :o
Willie

Mugwump

They will all be 'het' for blue eye (I hope) and Albino....

Stud muffin is a true albino....the Widow Blue is whitish/yellow/gold....but can't carry an albino or we'd gotten some Albino fry....

a/a X +/+ b/b  ??
Jon

LizStreithorst

If you're correct, and it sounds like you are, there should be some L144's in the next generation, right?  Or are L144's not true Albino's.  All this Greek and the L numbers confuse me :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 19, 2015, 06:00:02 PM
If you're correct, and it sounds like you are, there should be some L144's in the next generation, right?  Or are L144's not true Albino's.  All this Greek and the L numbers confuse me :-[

L144 are not true Albinos and are probably a different species of Ancistrus so the fry may be hybrids.  ??? Hell I don't know. I read that on Planet Catfish. lol  8)
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 19, 2015, 06:16:44 PM

L144 are not true Albinos and are probably a different species of Ancistrus so the fry may be hybrids.  ??? Hell I don't know. I read that on Planet Catfish. lol  8)

No, L144's are not trues albinos...different species??..to me no.... I think the blue eyes are genetic ...because there are brown blue eyed too...the albino gene in double dose masks dark, hence the whitish color...but under that could be brown??...or tan/white anyway...if the L144's were albino, they couldn't have blue eyes....or could they??? 

Yes, being 'het' for blue eyes should produce blue eyed fry....but will the accompanying albino allow it to express???.....I guess we'll find out if I made a bad choice for mating these two....??
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 19, 2015, 06:27:56 PM

No, L144's are not trues albinos...different species??..to me no.... I think the blue eyes are genetic ...because there are brown blue eyed too...the albino gene in double dose masks dark, hence the whitish color...but under that could be brown??...or tan/white anyway...if the L144's were albino, they couldn't have blue eyes....or could they??? 

Yes, being 'het' for blue eyes should produce blue eyed fry....but will the accompanying albino allow it to express???.....I guess we'll find out if I made a bad choice for mating these two....??

I don't think it's a bad choice at all. I am looking forward to see what "we" get.  ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 19, 2015, 06:54:36 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 19, 2015, 06:27:56 PM

I don't think it's a bad choice at all. I am looking forward to see what "we" get.  ;D ;D ;D

;D +1
Jon