• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 20, 2024, 07:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,359
  • Total Topics: 18,544
  • Online today: 779
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 742
Total: 742

A silly question from an ignorant breeder

Started by LizStreithorst, July 25, 2015, 04:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My Veil HB male X standard Blue Silver fry are about nickle size now.  I expected no HBs  among them and I have none, although I see some nice black dorsals, ventrals, and tails.  These will be my keepers.

I wonder about this...These kids look different from my usual unturned HB kids, but I don't see Blue.  I wouldn't see blue unless the blue gene were a gradual thing, which I seriously doubt.  It's just a plain old recessive and takes two generations from an outcross to non blue to show up, right?

Somehow these kids look different...cleaner somehow.  It might be because I see no spots on their bodies or it might be something else. 

I need input from a knowledgeable kind person.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 25, 2015, 04:49:38 PM
My Veil HB male X standard Blue Silver fry are about nickle size now.  I expected no HBs  among them and I have none, although I see some nice black dorsals, ventrals, and tails.  These will be my keepers.

I wonder about this...These kids look different from my usual unturned HB kids, but I don't see Blue.  I wouldn't see blue unless the blue gene were a gradual thing, which I seriously doubt.  It's just a plain old recessive and takes two generations from an outcross to non blue to show up, right?

Somehow these kids look different...cleaner somehow.  It might be because I see no spots on their bodies or it might be something else. 

I need input from a knowledgeable kind person.

They should basically look like silvers.... ;D

You should have all fry which are 'het' for 'h' and 'het' for 'pb'...........half should be veils. Any sibling cross will give you

6.25%   h/h - pb/pb - Blue Halfblack
12.5%   +/h - Silver
12.5%   +/pb - Silver
6.25%   h/h - Halfblack
6.25%   pb/pb - Blue Silver
12.5%   +/h - pb/pb - Blue Silver ....cross back, or sibling pair up
25.0%   +/h - +/pb - Silver
12.5%   h/h - +/pb - Halfblack....cross back, or sibling pair up
6.25%   +/+ - Silver
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

thank you dear sir.  It's kinda what I figured. I wasn't expecting HB blues from the initial cross.  It was just that these kids looked somehow different than my usual unturned HB kids. It must be due to the total outcross.  I will keep a close eye on the second generation and grow them out to big.  I want the 6.25%.  My first generation are small, but breeding to reach a goal takes time.

LizStreithorst

They pissed me off.   I didn't expect this pair to raise their kids when I moved them from the community tank to a love nest.  They spawned again yesterday.  The eggs were still on the cone this morning and after I got home from work this afternoon,  Now, at WC time all the eggs are gone.  I hate pulling the cone or removing the parents.  I hate stupid pairs.  If you're not smart enough to raise you're own kids you don't deserve to have them

I'll feel much better after I do WC.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 28, 2015, 06:11:26 PM
They pissed me off.   I didn't expect this pair to raise their kids when I moved them from the community tank to a love nest.  They spawned again yesterday.  The eggs were still on the cone this morning and after I got home from work this afternoon,  Now, at WC time all the eggs are gone.  I hate pulling the cone or removing the parents.  I hate stupid pairs.  If you're not smart enough to raise you're own kids you don't deserve to have them

I'll feel much better after I do WC.

....did they move them maybe??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I doubt it.  They were still eggs, and hadn't start to even think about wiggling.  Next time I'll pull the male.  The female came from Ed and he said that she had raised kids.  I guess I'll find out....

LizStreithorst

Forgive me.  This is the pair I meant to post about. http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com//index.php?topic=6222.0  The veil HB pair and Blue Silver are totally hopeless.  I have a huge batch of fry from them but of course I had to pull the cone.