• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 11:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 736

Pics for Barb

Started by LizStreithorst, July 05, 2014, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Good discussion....not everyone sees the same things in fish....even experienced judges...I'm a fan of the 'classic' fish body myself, I like a round body, good finage, and strong thicker, healthier looking body. Deportment plays a key with me too...an active, bright eyed fish means it's good stock, and raised in a very good tank environment....in most fish shows this is part of the discretionary judging by the individual grading the fish. Liz has an eye for the 'studs', and mates..,,,that comes with the keen eye for discus conformity. IMHO...judging harshly is one of the most important ways to reward a breeders ability to strive for the highest standards, thus continuing to produce the best fish possible to perpetuate the species. It helps to balance out the 'mutts' out there.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 05, 2014, 09:15:01 PM
PATTERN IS NOT RANDOM!

LOL, wouldn't that be an oxymoron to call a pattern random?  How would you discern a pattern if everything was random?  Barb is correct, you would make a fine judge Liz.  You are much to hard on yourself.

Dennis

wsantia1

I think he is a great looking discus, ray and all.  I'm sure he'll pass along his good qualities to his offspring.  Good luck with that pairing. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

My handsome man's lady friend is home and in a 30 gallon QT tank.  This is what the fish has been through in the past couple of months.  First she was sent from Germany to the US.  Next she was shipped from Maryland to Dallas for the show where the pH was somewhere in the 8's.  Next, she was shipped to Minnesota where the water is quite soft.  She was shipped to my place of business where she had to hang out in a 10 gallon I'd set up for her for 5 hours.  Then I put her in a bucket to get her home.  I plopped her in the 30 gallon QT tank where she will stay for a week or so before I move her to the fish room.

Dang fish doesn't look a bit worse for the wear.  She's a German fish.  She's strong like a bull.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...LOL...Marco Polo's sister, huh?....now that's a bit of traveling....zounds!!!!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Liz, this just shows how strong and tough a healthy discus can be.  People who think discus are weak, easily sick, wimpy fish can learn something from this.  They are totally hardy if healthy!
Barb

LizStreithorst

Looks like I guessed right.  My new purchase is indeed female. 

PaulineMi

Very nice Liz. Best of luck with the spawn.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

These won't hatch.  The pair are in the kitchen for QT and I'm doing WC with aged tap rather than RO.  I'll set them up a love over the weekend  in the fish room for them over the weekend.  It's apparent that she hasn't contracted the plague from being in contact with my male ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 17, 2014, 03:19:32 PM
These won't hatch.  The pair are in the kitchen for QT and I'm doing WC with aged tap rather than RO.  I'll set them up a love over the weekend  in the fish room for them over the weekend.  It's apparent that she hasn't contracted the plague from being in contact with my male ;D

;D ;D ;D wouldn't it be nice if they surprised you?  ;D ;D ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

It's not outside the realm of possibility.  I've had eggs hatch in straight tap twice before, and Stendker's are known for producing fry in harder water that Asian fish.  I'm not expecting it, though.  It's not like this is the only time she will lay.  Next time the pair will be in a better environment.