• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 04:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 777
Total: 777

Pics for Barb

Started by LizStreithorst, July 05, 2014, 05:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Barb wanted to see pics of my excellent man whose darling lady will arrive Tuesday.  Here he is.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

A very handsome guy he is too.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

He IS a handsome guy.  He wouldn't win at a show but he wouldn't disgrace himself.  I see what is good in him and I see his faults.  If anyone is curious I will point out all the faults I see.  We have a score card at NADA but I'm not good at using it.  I sure can talk about the good and bad points in a Discus. though.

Barb

Wow, what a handsome dude!  Put me on the list for some of his offspring that he and his new wife will produce!!!  I see a couple "flaws" what do you see?
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 05, 2014, 06:43:22 PM
He IS a handsome guy.  He wouldn't win at a show but he wouldn't disgrace himself.  I see what is good in him and I see his faults.  If anyone is curious I will point out all the faults I see.  We have a score card at NADA but I'm not good at using it.  I sure can talk about the good and bad points in a Discus. though.

I agree he is a very handsome fellow.  I don't know much about discus so I can't identify faults. Please enlighten me. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I'd be very happy to have him in my tank!  He is gorgeous. I can only see one "flaw"...the ray in the dorsal. What do you see?  How does his new lady friend complement him?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 05, 2014, 07:21:03 PM
I'd be very happy to have him in my tank!  He is gorgeous. I can only see one "flaw"...the ray in the dorsal. What do you see?  How does his new lady friend complement him?

Hey!!!....that ray gives him character  ;D...and why is it bad that some discus don't confirm to someone's perfect, ideal specifications??...beauty is the 'difference'.....perfection by who's standards?
A perfect discus shouldn't have to conform to a group's idea of shape/form, should it? I'm playing the devil's advocate here....angel's can be harshly judged for shape/finage/etc...but there's room in judging for the different characteristic that sets it apart....judge's discretion...   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

IMOhere are 2 things that keep this fish from being competitive in a show.  The most glaring fault is that damned hard ray that sicks out.  The next important thing is the white streak at the top of his eye 

His other faults are minor.  His pattern doesn't extend extend to the place where his tail starts.  There is a word for that area in a fish but I can't remember what it is.  The chin is a tad weak but will pass.  When you put the chin fault together with the slightly heave chest it makes a poor impression.  There is a slight indentation over the nose and another in the forehead.

Please, anyone who wants to critique my critique, please do.  I know that this is a very good fish.  My feelings won't get hurt. 

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 05, 2014, 07:37:41 PM
Quote from: PaulineMi on July 05, 2014, 07:21:03 PM

Hey!!!....that ray gives him character  ;D...and why is it bad that some discus don't confirm to someone's perfect, ideal specifications??...beauty is the 'difference'.....perfection by who's standards?
A perfect discus shouldn't have to conform to a group's idea of shape/form, should it? I'm playing the devil's advocate here....angel's can be harshly judged for shape/finage/etc...but there's room in judging for the different characteristic that sets it apart....judge's discretion...

I totally disagree with you, dear heart.  The hard ray is a big fault.  Anything that distracts the eye from a smoothly blended round Discus is a big fault. 

If someone wants to breed for hard rays sticking out  more power to him.  I may  suck when it comes down to judging Discus on a score card and giving my reasons out loud in front of the big deal people. but I have an eye for quality.    I go by what my eye tells me.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 05, 2014, 07:45:29 PM
IMOhere are 2 things that keep this fish from being competitive in a show.  The most glaring fault is that damned hard ray that sicks out.  The next important thing is the white streak at the top of his eye 

His other faults are minor.  His pattern doesn't extend extend to the place where his tail starts.  There is a word for that area in a fish but I can't remember what it is.  The chin is a tad weak but will pass.  When you put the chin fault together with the slightly heave chest it makes a poor impression.  There is a slight indentation over the nose and another in the forehead.

Please, anyone who wants to critique my critique, please do.  I know that this is a very good fish.  My feelings won't get hurt.

When dealing with a hobbyist strain of discus, who's sets the standard? the original breeder of the strain?...or a wishful 'what if he had color pattern all the way to the caudal fin"? the reason that I ask is because each offspring would bring something different to the phenotype, right?...the idea that all are bred perfectly the same is unrealistic....I can understand shape and finage desirability, but patterns are like people's faces...each very individualistic, and distinct....color intensity yes tho...because a breeder would want to breed for the best color expression possible.....say Koi angel fish, vivid oranges and good coverage are ideal....but the marbling pattern itself influences the extent of pattern existing between them when regarding that coverage.
Jon

b125killer

I could point out the ray, but everything else I had to take a second, third, and fourth look. He is a beautiful Discus. I've noticed that most non fish people could care less what the flaws of a fish are there just happy it's there fish. I was pointing out some of the flaws that I can see with mine to Will. His first response was "if you don't like them I'll take them." I'm happy with the way there growing for now.   
Scott

BillT

Hi Liz,

Maybe you were thinking of the base of tail being the peduncle.

Ped: latin for foot
uncle: brother of a parent

Barb

I have heard it is the caudal peduncle, where the body meets the tail.
Barb

Barb

I saw Liz's eye for an excellent specimen in person 2 weeks ago.  After she looked over all the NADA show fish, she asked if I wanted to see the Best in Show.  I said sure, and she showed me her choice.  Two days later that fish was declared BIS, she was not a judge at the show.  One of the judges told me she has the eye for it.
Barb

LizStreithorst

In the United States the judging criteria is on a score card (that I'm not good at) from NADA.  It's a good score card.  I have it, but I'm not allowed to pass it on to you because they only want people who might one day be judges have it.  Them's the rules.

I don't care what other folks think is a quality Discus<  All I know that my taste in Discus is classic,  They must be round in body and finnage.  After that,  pattern is a worry.  PATTERN IS NOT RANDOM!