• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 07:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Trip to the vet

Started by LizStreithorst, October 17, 2016, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I took Binky to the vet today for skin crud.  It was good seeing my old veterinarian friends again.  I thought that it was demodex Karen said that it didnt show up on the scrape.  She thinks it's yeast although Binky's ears are fine and it generally shows up first in the ears.  She ran a thyroid test and it came back low/acceptable, but she doesn't look like a thyroid dog.  She's doing a fungus test but is takes up to a week to show results.  Karen gave her a steroid shot which I resisted because Binky isn't scratching and she doesn't act miserable.  But Karen said that her skin is tender and inflamed and it will relieve that, which it will.  She sent me home with a fatty acid supplement which will helps all skin and one bath worth of ketoconiszal (sp) shampoo because I'm pretty sure I have a bottle at the shop.

Skin crud can be so hard to diagnose.  When it's not due to the unusual suspects it's usually some metabolic imbalance.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I sure hope Binky's feeling better soon.....poor pup..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Binky feels better already.  I think it's the steroid shot but the bath helped, too.  Smells better, too!  Skin crud will made a dog stink and this one likes to sleep right under my nose. wfwf 

I have her her second dose of fatty acids today.  It's meant to be squirted on food but my dogs all eat from the same 2 big bowls free choice.  Yesterday I had some leftover rice to squirt it on that I gave to Binky and guarded the other dogs from.  Today I had no left over rice.  I figured that fatty acids would taste good to a dog so I opened the bottle and pulled out 1 cc with a syringe.

OMG. As soon as I smelled it it brought back a memory from my very young childhood.  It smelled just like Cod liver oil ??? ??? ??? ??? ???  My mom made me take a teaspoon of it every day.  It is disgusting.  I was an obedient child, but my mother would have to stand there with the spoonful in front of me until I got up the nerve to swallow it down.    After I took it I made a  terrible face and shook my arms like I was hoping that the horrible taste would come out the tips of my fingers.

The dog liked it!  She tried to steal the syringe out of my hand!  I taught her that she had to take it in her mouth as I squirted it out.  All the other dogs smelled it and wanted some :o 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Dogs love nothing better than rolling around in something long dead and putrid.  I've never been temped to roll around in dead stuff. ;)

Mugwump

...yuck....but if Binky likes it, and it does the job....so be it.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Oily fish foods don't smell too great either.

LizStreithorst

Karen did the fungus test.  It can take up to 8 days to show results.  The test turned positive today.  She'll be on Ketaconazole  for 3 weeks.  My dogs LOVE being on meds because they get a meatball every day.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 24, 2016, 12:50:18 PM
Karen did the fungus test.  It can take up to 8 days to show results.  The test turned positive today.  She'll be on Ketaconazole  for 3 weeks.  My dogs LOVE being on meds because they get a meatball every day.

..meatballs?.....no wonder....LOL....
Jon