• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 929
  • Online ever: 929
  • (Today at 03:06:05 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 929
Total: 930

Potted plants in the tank...

Started by Mugwump, January 31, 2013, 06:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Anyone else use potted plants in their tanks? What type of plants? I use them for water sprite..haven't really tried others....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I'm raising my hand.  I have a thin layer of pool filter sand on the bottom of my angel tank, discus tank and Endler tank.  All my plants are either attached to wood or planted in the freeform clay pots I make.  The swords do great, I have them in about 3" of sand and use Miracle Gro fertilizer sticks buried in the sand for their food.  Here is a pic of the swords growing in my Endler livebearer tank in the clay dish with sand.
Barb

Mugwump

Now that's nice....I showed Jan the planters that you make and she likes them too. Looks like we'll be ordering some soon.....perfect....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I like it. that's a big plant. I want to try potted plants in the new tank.
Scott

Mugwump

Plus, it beats tearing a tank down and doing substrate...
Jon

shatanka

WOW...that sword plant is beautiful Barb! I love your ceramic work too. I dabble in it myself from time to time..took ceramics in college too. Loved it. Wish I had a wheel and kiln right now. You have inspired me to maybe want to get them now!  :)   I too may have to place an order soon for your planters in the near future.

PaulineMi

Beautiful swords Barb.

I have a small sword in a clay pot (while awaiting Barb's back-to-work status  ;)) in my discus tank. It's planted in EcoComplete with a layer of gravel on top of the soil.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Frank The Plumber

Cryptocorn does well in pots. If it lives in mine it would live in El Diablo's tank. The one by El Diablo's bathroom too.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Barb on January 31, 2013, 07:51:18 AM
I'm raising my hand.  I have a thin layer of pool filter sand on the bottom of my angel tank, discus tank and Endler tank.  All my plants are either attached to wood or planted in the freeform clay pots I make.  The swords do great, I have them in about 3" of sand and use Miracle Gro fertilizer sticks buried in the sand for their food.  Here is a pic of the swords growing in my Endler livebearer tank in the clay dish with sand.
Barb
Are the miracle grow sticks for sure safe for all fish?
Josh

Barb

Thanks for all the nice replys folks!  I also grow Cryptocoryne (sp?) in two plant dishes in my angel tank.  They get the fert. sticks too.  I started using them last year after realizing the plant tabs for tanks were getting expensive when you have  a lot of dishes to feed.  The Miracle Gro fert. sticks are 6-12-6,
Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potash.  The large swords started out last January and April as little 6" plants with a few leaves each, I feed them a couple sticks every 2-3 mo. So far so good. 

Hope to be starting my cones and caves next Monday.  I will make some extra dishes and take pics for you all to look at and if you want one or more they will be yours.  Thanks,
Barb

Barb

Here are pics of two other planters in my angel tank.  The small sword is the size the large one was about 6 mo. ago.  And the Crypt. have regrown from being just roots when I accidentally killed them with chlorinated water a few months ago.  The leaves had melted away but the roots stayed alive in the sand thank goodness.
Barb

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Barb, what kind of light do you have on those tanks?....
Jon

Barb

Thanks Jon and Liz, the huge sword/ Endler tank has 2  18W bulbs and a bit of morning sunlight.  The angel tank has just one 36W bulb.  It gets a bit of window light too, but no sun.  Most of my aquatic plants are low light.  But the swords need a lot.  So far so good,
Barb