• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 06:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 232
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 172
Total: 173

What is the best way?

Started by LizStreithorst, April 11, 2015, 07:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

What is the best way to make a Blue Half Black?  I'll be starting out with very young HB's so if I can buy the right kind of young blue type and tank them together until they pair it will be fine for me.  I already have the zebra gene which I like.  I have the pearl scale gene too, which in this case I don't care if I loose.  I'm  on a mission.  People, Frank for example, have done this.  I know that I can do it, too.  I just need to know the bests blue type to look for.  I know that it will take several generations.  That's fine.  I'm patient when it comes to a breeding project.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 11, 2015, 07:26:52 PM
What is the best way to make a Blue Half Black?  I'll be starting out with very young HB's so if I can buy the right kind of young blue type and tank them together until they pair it will be fine for me.  I already have the zebra gene which I like.  I have the pearl scale gene too, which in this case I don't care if I loose.  I'm  on a mission.  People, Frank for example, have done this.  I know that I can do it, too.  I just need to know the bests blue type to look for.  I know that it will take several generations.  That's fine.  I'm patient when it comes to a breeding project.

Easiest way is to find a blue blusher HB, and pair up....next easiest is to use a blue ghost HB...mate either to one of your HB's....a HB ghost preferably..

h/h S/S pb/pb X h/h
yield...
h/h S/+ pb/+......all will be HB that is 'het' for both stripeless and PB

h/h S/+pb/pb X h/h
yield
h/h pb/+ (50%)
h/h S/+ pb/+ (50%) ..will be HB that is 'het' for both stripeless and PB

h/h S/+ X h/h S/+ pb/pb
yield
h/h S/+ pb/+ (50%)
h/h S/S pb/+ (25%).....boomba....mate siblings...(25%) HB pariaba.....AKA blue blushing HB
h/h pb/+  (25%)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Yeah, If I could find those fish... If I'm to do this I need to create it myself from fish that are not readily available. I don't understand why the  stripeless gene  important.  I found this blue blusher but I don't see any blue in it, do you.  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1428871418

Please keep your eye out for me. 

ghonk

Blue silver with no hidden genes (gold ,albino) X your half black.
All offspring will be het HB and het blue.
Do a sibling cross,you will get SOME blue half blacks with the cross.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 11, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
Yeah, If I could find those fish... If I'm to do this I need to create it myself from fish that are not readily available. I don't understand why the  stripeless gene  important.  I found this blue blusher but I don't see any blue in it, do you.  http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1428871418

Please keep your eye out for me. 

The term 'blue blusher' is used for +/+ S/S....a blushing silver that turns a bluish/gray color in maturity....with the inception of Philippine blue genes....a 'blue' blusher is in essence a Blue Pariaba......Pariaba being the term used for PB's that have (2) doses of stripless....ie smokey pariaba Sm/+ S/S pb/pb....blue marble pariaba..Gm/+ S/S pb/pb or M/+ S/S pb/pb...etc...

if you have HB ghosts.....breed them for HB blushing....cross to a PB angel...preferably a PB silver ghost...or pb zebra clown.....then breed siblings....I may have a blue zebra clown..but they are only quarter sized.....I'll ask around....

I threw in the stripeless gene because when we previously discussed this you had thought about blue blushing HB's.....it's not needed for just blue HB's....but if done right skips a year, or two, off the process.....

And Greg's right.....but finding a blue silver without a gold gene is near impossible IMHO....too mant folks added it in....Frank did too, along the way...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

I want a nice blue silver to use in a cross,but with NO gold gene.
Contacted a couple people including Mike Gibbs,surprising they could not guarantee that they didn't carry it.
It would be easy enough for ME to confirm,but i would have to get a gold for a cross.
THEN if the blue ends up with a gold gene,i have bought 2 fish that i can't use in the project.
SO,that's why i have only been thinking about it for the last year. ;D

LizStreithorst

I think that I may be too stupid to make what I want, although if I had the right fish to start with I know I could do it.   Shoot, I already have the HB/Zebra/ PS line that are home made.  I did that when I was more ignorant than I am now!

I don't remember saying anything about wanting to make blue blushing HB's. although that would be as cool as grits.  (Southern expression that you Yankee's have never heard.)   I'd also consider it to be a very valuable fish because it would be extremely hard to make.

I'll look around and buy what Blues tum me on, cross them with my HB's and breed sibs to sibs and likely end up with a bunch of good quality mutts. I sure did like those ones that Klaus had.  He has another pair that he told me to contact him about next week. 

I'll muddle through like I always do...

ghonk

You CAN use a blue silver with a gold gene,   but  MIGHT decrease the % of HB in a sibling cross.
Depending on if the sibs  carry the gold or not,you can always weed out the gold gene,if you don't mind   spending the time doing it. 

LizStreithorst

I see a blue silver for sale on Aquabid now, but it's not (IMO) a good fish.  The peduncle (I think that's what it's called) is too long and the dorsal is bends to much for my taste.