• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 01:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 232
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 190
Total: 190

What do you think

Started by JC, September 06, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

What would you guys think of a pinoy zebra x koi cross?

LizStreithorst

I know nothing but I can see Pinoy to Zebra.  The Koi part of it gves me a bad feeling.  Exactly what are you wanting to get from this 3 way cross?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

.....lot's of het's for pb.....plus remember that zebra and stripeless share a loci.....
Fish1: Gm/Gm - S/S - Koi
Fish2: D/+ - Z/+ - pb/pb - Pinoy Zebra

Results
----------------------
25.0%   D/Gm - S/Z - +/pb - Hybrid Black(Gm) Clown
25.0%   Gm/+ - S/+ - +/pb - Silver Gold Marble Ghost
25.0%   Gm/+ - S/Z - +/pb - Silver Gold Marble Clown
25.0%   D/Gm - S/+ - +/pb - Hybrid Black(Gm) Ghost
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

I have no specific objective. Was just thinking of possible crosses. I've never crossed a koi with anything before. I've always done koi x koi

Mugwump

Koi to Sunsets are nice....you'll get the Koi, and the Sunsets.... Koi to a blue Koi is a very good cross, if you can find a blue Koi....LOL....I've found that it somehow brings back more of the reddish orange to the line....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The more I hang out here the more I learn.  I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a blue Koi.  I wish I knew more. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I have a pinoy lepard x koi pair. There in a community tank. I don't have any plans on breeding them together.  I'm waiting for the sunsets to pair with the koi. Jon has done such a great job with his koi I wouldn't want to lose the line.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 06, 2014, 09:18:52 PM
The more I hang out here the more I learn.  I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a blue Koi.  I wish I knew more.

Gm/+ S/S....Blue Koi.........they get a battleship blue/gray coloring....
Jon

JC

Why  are blue koi so hard to find now a days?  I used to see them all the time 5-6 yrs ago. Lack of interest in the dull color with all the different and vibrant color variants of angels these days?

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on September 07, 2014, 07:39:13 AM
Why  are blue koi so hard to find now a days?  I used to see them all the time 5-6 yrs ago. Lack of interest in the dull color with all the different and vibrant color variants of angels these days?

I think that you may be correct on folks liking the 'newest' colors and phenotype fads. I lost my last Blue Koi about that time too, 5-6 years back. My Koi line was originated from a Blue Koi and a Gold marble ghost...
Gm/+ - S/S - Blue Koi
Gm/+ - S/+ - Silver Gold Marble Ghost

12.5%   Gm/Gm - S/S - Koi
25.0%   Gm/+ - S/+ - Silver Gold Marble Ghost
12.5%   S/+ - Ghost
12.5%   Gm/Gm - S/+ - Gold Marble(dd)
12.5%   S/S - Blushing
25.0%   Gm/+ - S/S - Blue Koi

I then did periodic cross backs to the Blue Koi to solidify the red/orange that I was getting. Some of those fry were actually very red capped. I preferred the deep red/orange coloring and the coverage that began to show with those crosses. That was about 2006 or so....addition offspring, with cross backs, became different lines....then in about 2008, I crossed some Koi from Jeff Bollbach (Lute17) into two lines, the only outside fish to enter the program. His Koi were bred similar to mine but had an out cross to John Melligrama's Koi(Mellow)....I bred the yellowish color out (that John had at the time) and then went for sustaining the coloring....My lines don't fade as most Koi lines do...they get richer in color...a feat that I'm very proud of... ;D
   I truly believe that the blue koi is the key to getting the richer coloring.
Jon

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on September 07, 2014, 08:04:15 AM

I think that you may be correct on folks liking the 'newest' colors and phenotype fads. I lost my last Blue Koi about that time too, 5-6 years back. My Koi line was originated from a Blue Koi and a Gold marble ghost...
I then did periodic cross backs to the Blue Koi to solidify the red/orange that I was getting. Some of those fry were actually very red capped. I preferred the deep red/orange coloring and the coverage that began to show with those crosses. That was about 2006 or so....addition offspring, with cross backs, became different lines....then in about 2008, I crossed some Koi from Jeff Bollbach (Lute17) into two lines, the only outside fish to enter the program. His Koi were bred similar to mine but had an out cross to John Melligrama's Koi(Mellow)....I bred the yellowish color out (that John had at the time) and then went for sustaining the coloring....My lines don't fade as most Koi lines do...they get richer in color...a feat that I'm very proud of... ;D

Seems like the phenotype of the day is pinoy paraiba....beautiful for sure.  It is sad though when "old" established lines and phenotypes are lost. 

Jon you have a right to be proud of your non-fading koi.  And people who get them from you may not realize how lucky they are that they don't come with breeding restrictions and ultra high prices.  ;)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 07, 2014, 08:21:25 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 07, 2014, 08:04:15 AM

Seems like the phenotype of the day is pinoy paraiba....beautiful for sure.  It is sad though when "old" established lines and phenotypes are lost. 

Jon you have a right to be proud of your non-fading koi.  And people who get them from you may not realize how lucky they are that they don't come with breeding restrictions and ultra high prices.  ;)

Thanks Pauline, it may sound odd, but for me it's the 'chase', not the finish line.......watching it all come together is my pleasure....
Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 07, 2014, 08:45:03 AM
I hear ya.  :)

..got me thinking now..........anyone have a gold marble ghost??? ;D
Jon