• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 04:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 765
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 740
Total: 740

200 years ago, the first geological map

Started by BillT, January 16, 2015, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

200 years ago, William Smith, a person of humble origins made the first geological map (of parts of England, Wales, and Scotland).

Besides being of economic importance (in predicting where coal would be found, thereby proving its worth), it also started modern geology, vastly increased estimates of the earths age, made fossils more understandable, and led to the development of evolutionary theory (based on having a lot of time available for things to change slowly and an informative array of fossils vs. time).

Here is a link to a short story about this:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/347/6219/230.full

Unfortunately for William Smith, he got screwed over by rich guy competitors who copied his map book and sold it for less and went broke. But, eventually, in his old age, he was recognized and lauded for his accomplishments.

PaulineMi

The link says we need a user name and password. ...
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

QuoteThe link says we need a user name and password. ...

Opps. I always have a hard time telling what is more or less available on that site since my passwording is automated.

I just tried to post the article, but the pdf is too big (~0.6 to 1.8 MB depending on the version) and copying the text came out ugly.

If you want a copy, I can e-mail it to you. The map pictures are nice.

PaulineMi

Wikipedia seems to have it covered.  With all the high tech equipment we use today its amazing that he was able to develop that map.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

sschind

Quote from: BillT on January 16, 2015, 12:45:15 PM
200 years ago, William Smith, a person of humble origins made the first geological map (of parts of England, Wales, and Scotland).

Besides being of economic importance (in predicting where coal would be found, thereby proving its worth), it also started modern geology, vastly increased estimates of the earths age, made fossils more understandable, and led to the development of evolutionary theory (based on having a lot of time available for things to change slowly and an informative array of fossils vs. time).

Unfortunately for William Smith, he got screwed over by rich guy competitors who copied his map book and sold it for less and went broke. But, eventually, in his old age, he was recognized and lauded for his accomplishments.

Read a book about him "the map that changed the world"  pretty interesting for a topic that many people might consider boring.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on January 16, 2015, 03:25:02 PM
Quote from: BillT on January 16, 2015, 12:45:15 PM

Read a book about him "the map that changed the world"  pretty interesting for a topic that many people might consider boring.

I was took geology in school......we did many,many field trips up in the mountain areas exploring strata, and other rock formations.....it's fascinating stuff....our semester on seismology, and volcanism, was absolutely unreal....exploring the faults along the San Andreas mountains........going up to Mt Hood, Yellowstone, etc.....we even hiked a good portion of the John Muir Trail....it's much more than chipping rocks....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

QuoteRead a book about him "the map that changed the world"  pretty interesting for a topic that many people might consider boring.

I read that book. Nice!